How do you make teas for soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeButter

Reaction score
I want to infuse my water with herbs and such. Do you use distilled water? Can it be heated and then cooled in the fridge for use later?

i use distilled water . i make it just like one would make regular "tea" , in that i boil the water and pour over the tea / herbs and allow to steep until cool or to room temp. and i either freeze or refrigerate until i am ready to use, which can be months later.

Sure, you can do that. I normally just throw in my botanicals, steep, strain out the water, and then freeze in cubes until I need them.

One word of caution to everyone: microwaving distilled water can be dangerous. Since there aren't impurities in the water, it can heat up past the boiling point without actually boiling and then explode when disturbed (like being picked up). Whenever I nuke my water to make a tea, I make sure to put in some botanicals so my water will always boil right away.

Found my video - I know I've posted it before on the forum, but it bears watching for any new folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

Loved the video! I did not know that. Thank you for the safety information! :)

Amazing. I had no idea. I'm glad I boil my water in an electric kettle and not on the stove or in the microwave. I will make sure I never use anything but the kettle for the distiller water from now on. It has an automatic shut off.

If I have a lot of herbs I put it in my slow cooker on low. I can walk away and I don't need to watch over it. It's there for me when I have the time to put in mason jars.

I make a tea how I make any tea I would drink, just in a stronger and larger quantity. Then I cool it down in the fridge. I've also placed it in the freezer to really chill it down before adding lye. Normally I do a mix of water/ice with my soaps, but I don't want to water down the tea so freezing it just a little before I add lye helps keep it closer to my preferred mixing temp without a crazy high temp spike first. I do the same with coffee.

I also use well water, so I'm not sure how distilled water might work different.

I do the same, I use well water and I make my teas, coffee's etc just how I would for drinking, only stronger, and I freeze any liquids I cant readily see thru.

I do the same, I use well water and I make my teas, coffee's etc just how I would for drinking, only stronger, and I freeze any liquids I cant readily see thru.

I freeze so many things that my freezer fills quickly. You can "can" it, if like me your freezer space is at a minimum. I froze the mulberries for later use but with all the summer veggies & fruits I have to make room in the freezer. I had to use it.

I freeze so many things that my freezer fills quickly. You can "can" it, if like me your freezer space is at a minimum. I froze the mulberries for later use but with all the summer veggies & fruits I have to make room in the freezer. I had to use it.

Oh I def have minimal room in my freezer...and in my fridge haha..

I have frozen tea, coffee, and coconut milk in my freezer atm, and the entire bottom portion of my refrigerator door is filled with my own clean rendered tallow in bags.

Its been so incredibly hot here {calling for 104 actual temps here Tues, with index of 114} till I just have not felt like soaping but I need to.

Cannot wait till this heatwave is over..and Im sure my window unit will be happy about it too :lol:

Latest posts

Back