How do you know when soap is ready?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelshope

Reaction score
I am figuring that curing times are estimates at best. Environmental conditions are going to vary. So how do you know when the soap is ready to be used?

The longer it cures, the harder it will be. General rule of thumb I would say is about four weeks, unless it is a castile bar, which needs a longer cure time. I think that most of us will "try" a bar after a week or even a couple of days just to see what it is like, but probably best to not give it out until 3-4 weeks. Also, the longer it cures, the more mild it becomes.

Anybody else? HTH!

ETA: Of course, this is all after you have made sure that there is no excess lye left that could burn somebody.

Thanks. . . what is castile bar?

I did give in and try some from my first batch, but I waited 6 weeks. Then again I messed up and added too much milk so it was really soft.

Rebelshope said:
Thanks. . . what is castile bar?

Traditional Castile bars are made with 100% olive oil, although some soapers consider any soap made with at least 50% to 100% olive oil to be Castiles. In order to avoid confusion over the issue, there are other soapers who call such olive oil-based soaps with less than 100% olive oil, 'Bastiles'. I hope I didn't confuse you! :)

I like to cure my soaps for at least 4 weeks before use. The longer you can hold out, the better. You definitely won't be disappointed.

IrishLass

Thanks- I thought it has something to do with olive oil, I just could not remember what.

Latest posts

Back