How do you keep your goggles from fogging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbsbreakingbath

Reaction score
First I want to thank everybody who has taken the time to help us beginners. My first batch of soap I brought a cheap pair of high school shop goggles. They fogged up on me instantly. It's scary enough to work with lye the first time, and then you can't see what you are doing? Everything went okay, except I cut my finger trying to clean the stick blender. I know better now!
So for my second batch I got a more expensive set of "anti fog" goggles that were highly rated by a lot of people on Amazon. They still fogged, it just took them longer.
I had to keep running away from what I was doing to wipe the lenses, then come back and keep working. Not ideal.

When are they fogging?

Do you keep your head over the lye solution when stirring it? That's not ideal. Mix your lye solution in a well ventilated area (I crank my stovetop fan to high). Hold your head away from the top of the pot. It's not good to be breathing in those fumes.

If they are just fogging all the time due to the humidity in your area, I have no idea. Sorry - I have virtually no humidity where I am. I do have waist high snow from this weekend. Trade you! /end digression

Maybe try some onion goggles or check for ones that have ventilated sides. I know some folks here use face shields instead of goggles. Maybe that would work for you. :)

Spray them with WD-40 and then wipe off. You dont have to do it every time, just if/when they want to start fogging again. It works on bathroom mirrors, surely it will work on goggles.

Thank you

Snappy lama, thanks so much for your reply. I mix my lye outside because I'm sensitive to the fumes. I live in SoCal and with our 5 year drought, humidity hasn't been much of a problem. I may go to the face shield if nothing else works.
It's 90 degrees here today, wish you could come and sit by my pool.

Have you tried safety glasses instead of goggles? I have a pair of goggles and hated them because they fog. I switched to safety glasses and the problem was solved. Goggles form a seal, safety glasses don't. Of course, the safety glasses slip down my nose every now and again and I have to push them up with my arm. However, I find that less annoying than having to stop and deglove in the middle of soaping to defog my goggles.

ETA: Hey! my funky photo has the goggles. I don't wear them anymore. I got tired of the mask, too.

I'm with Teresa on this one. If the goggles fit closely to your face, moisture builds up and has no place to go. Looser fitting safety glasses allow for some air circulation, and are what I wear. Teresa, I found some that have adjustable ear pieces, and that cured the problem of them slipping down my nose. They were in the bargain bin of my hardware store.

You actually gave me a great idea! Some of my melt and pour has been weeping. I don't open the windows much, maybe it's humid inside the apartment. I'm going to get a cheapy humidity meter and see. Maybe you've helped me save some of my product! Thanks!

Remain calm and you won't fog as much. :)

Just teasing.

I actually just wanted to mention that you can run your SB in a bowl of water. That usually cleans the inside of the bell pretty well. Unplug immediately after so you don't forget and have an accident. Then run hot tap water over the outside of the bell and shaft. You may find that all or most of your cleaning is accomplished safely and pretty quickly.

The last time I went snorkeling they had us rub toothpaste on the inside of the goggles, saying it worked better than defogger or spitting on them. It did seem to work well.

Back