How do you do labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle preston

Reaction score
Hi, I be been making and selling soap for 4 years, no real money earner just a side line, thinking if pushing it more now and expanding.
My problem is labels, I hate them with a passion, hubby normally does for me but now he has a job with long hours.
I've started to print myself but it's driving me nuts as in not good on PC's.
Last time I printed they were ok, now all over the place and I don't understand why
Do you pay someone to do yours as I can't afford to do this?
If you do yourself what do you use and has this happened to you where once they come out ok, the next not so, I'm going mad with labels wasted

I make and print my own labels. I suck at it and it's a struggle to get them to align. I finally went to solid sheets of paper and print then cut the labels out. I started with oval labels and love the look but getting them to align was miserable. So went to rectangle and it's worked just fine. Still my least favorite thing to do as it's frustrating and time consuming. Plus I dno't have a knack for design or computers.

Hi, I be been making and selling soap for 4 years, no real money earner just a side line, thinking if pushing it more now and expanding.
My problem is labels, I hate them with a passion, hubby normally does for me but now he has a job with long hours.
I've started to print myself but it's driving me nuts as in not good on PC's.
Last time I printed they were ok, now all over the place and I don't understand why
Do you pay someone to do yours as I can't afford to do this?
If you do yourself what do you use and has this happened to you where once they come out ok, the next not so, I'm going mad with labels wasted
If you purchase labels From Avery or Onlinelabels they have design templates that once you get the hang of it are not hard to do. I’m not experienced In design or computers and I was able (with a little initial help from my husband) to figure it out. I can make them quickly now. When I make a new soap I make the labels right away and tuck it away in a folder for when I need it.

You can buy templates as digital downloads from Etsy. I am useless on a computer but I found the instructions easy to follow and have managed round labels and cigar bands so far. Once you have the template you can change it as many times as you like. Mine were from PeachandPistachio:thumbs:

The key with working with sheets of labels is making sure your paper guides are firm against the sheets so there is no wobble when the paper rollers grab on to them. And whether you are using the paper tray or the bypass tray, make sure you have a solid foundation for your label sheets so the paper rollers don't have to move as far to grab them.

Another option is to use something like the Brother VC-500W Compact Color Label Printer or Brother QL-810W Label Printer. Both printers work with Windows PC or Mac...you design and then print however many labels you want. The Color Printer also allows you to design and print from iOS and Android SmartPhones and Tablets. The printers aren't cheap, about $200 for the black and white and $235 for the color. And of course, you need labels. But it can be a time and label saver.

For myself, I was printing my labels on sheets via Word; great for my Ingredient labels, but I really suck in the design area. I tried Publisher, but man, it's been a lot of years since I used it and it's NOT like riding a bike. So what I did a couple of days ago was to order a half dozen sheets of pre-printed labels that contain everything as required by law, but the name of the soap. I'll then pick an Avery Template in Word of the same size labels and work out where I need to print the name of the soap and hopefully...Bob's your Uncle. And if Bob is my Uncle, then I'll be ordering 500 Sheets for my Regular Soap, 300 for my Goat Milk Soap and 100 sheets with just my company name on them for miscellaneous soaps.

I agree with The Gecko that getting the guides firmly against the label stock will help the sheets feed as straight as possible.

A tune up of the printer can also be helpful -- focus especially in removing lint or dust from the feed rollers so they grab each sheet more evenly.

If the labels have been printing okay until lately, could you also ask your hubby for tips about how he gets good results? Perhaps a few minutes spent getting his advice would make a big difference.

I print on 2x4 labels using Publisher. Once designed it is easy to make small changes. It did take a bit of doing to align so the info I wanted to be aligned with the front bottom and back of the soap, but once done it worked great. I use a very inexpensive label stock I get on Amazon 10 labels to a sheet and stick them right on the soap then shrink wrap. These labels do not actually stick to the soap long term just long enough to shrink wrap and the labels stay clean. I also leave a small blank line for writing on the weight as I weight each bar before packaging. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FKQHW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They align better than the Avery 2x4 in my Epson Tank printer

The key with working with sheets of labels is making sure your paper guides are firm against the sheets so there is no wobble when the paper rollers grab on to them. And whether you are using the paper tray or the bypass tray, make sure you have a solid foundation for your label sheets so the paper rollers don't have to move as far to grab them.

Another option is to use something like the Brother VC-500W Compact Color Label Printer or Brother QL-810W Label Printer. Both printers work with Windows PC or Mac...you design and then print however many labels you want. The Color Printer also allows you to design and print from iOS and Android SmartPhones and Tablets. The printers aren't cheap, about $200 for the black and white and $235 for the color. And of course, you need labels. But it can be a time and label saver.

For myself, I was printing my labels on sheets via Word; great for my Ingredient labels, but I really suck in the design area. I tried Publisher, but man, it's been a lot of years since I used it and it's NOT like riding a bike. So what I did a couple of days ago was to order a half dozen sheets of pre-printed labels that contain everything as required by law, but the name of the soap. I'll then pick an Avery Template in Word of the same size labels and work out where I need to print the name of the soap and hopefully...Bob's your Uncle. And if Bob is my Uncle, then I'll be ordering 500 Sheets for my Regular Soap, 300 for my Goat Milk Soap and 100 sheets with just my company name on them for miscellaneous soaps.
That's a great idea, but I don't see how I could do that as all my soaps have slight difference in the ingredients. My hubby did notice however that the printer tab , the one that feeds the paper was not where it should be, he moved it and hay presto labels came out spot on!
It's interesting to read all the posts thou so keep em coming. Thanks

I print on 2x4 labels using Publisher. Once designed it is easy to make small changes. It did take a bit of doing to align so the info I wanted to be aligned with the front bottom and back of the soap, but once done it worked great. I use a very inexpensive label stock I get on Amazon 10 labels to a sheet and stick them right on the soap then shrink wrap. These labels do not actually stick to the soap long term just long enough to shrink wrap and the labels stay clean. I also leave a small blank line for writing on the weight as I weight each bar before packaging. They align better than the Avery 2x4 in my Epson Tank printer
What fabulous tips thanks , I'll try my labels under my shrink wrap from now on

I agree with The Gecko that getting the guides firmly against the label stock will help the sheets feed as straight as possible.

A tune up of the printer can also be helpful -- focus especially in removing lint or dust from the feed rollers so they grab each sheet more evenly.

If the labels have been printing okay until lately, could you also ask your hubby for tips about how he gets good results? Perhaps a few minutes spent getting his advice would make a big difference.
I think ours def needs dusting!

I work with a local graphic designer and label company. It's definitely worth it if you hate the hassle of printing your own labels. I am by no means an artist, and the graphic designer did a wonderful job of designing my labels. The label company has digital printers, so I can get a small number of labels at a decent price.

I use Publisher and it took a couple of years of changing and improving to get a label I liked. After that I now have a template that makes new labels a breeze.

The last time I purchased a printer I realized that a lot of newer printers don't list papers as heavy as card stock in the acceptable papers. They may work for a short time and/or just have constant feeding issues. I ended up purchasing a pretty plain and simple printer HP8100 Pro that has card stock printing. I dedicated it to card stock and got and all-in-one printer for everything else I need. So, the problems may be the printer. I do find that feeding is always better when the paper in the printer is about half full. When it is almost empty is when I see issues with feeding on any paper.

I use Crinklee Waterproof Essential Oil Labels that I get off of Amazon. You can download a template. They are easy to make. I don't know how many you need to make or if they would be economical for you but, they really are waterproof and do not smudge at all with oils or lotions.

onlinelabels.com is sooo easy! Order the labels from them, cheap! Then use their Maestro Designer. Its really super easy! way easier than trying to get it lined up in Word or Acrobat! Their Designer tool is already lined up and perfect for using their labels. I agree, make sure your printer alignment is adjusted and the paper tray liners are nice and snug. They have so many really cute clip art too. The design options are limitless!

I don't sell but do print labels when I gift soaps. I have been using the Avery labels & templates with a Brother printer, and they have been working well for me.
I have also used a label maker before (one of those you put a label tape in). It doesn't print anything fancy, but it was very easy and functional for printing a list of ingredients.

You also want to make sure that your feed rollers haven't dried out. You can get a 'rubber rejuvenator'...something along the lines that copy machine repairmen use.

I also leave a small blank line for writing on the weight as I weight each bar before packaging.

The first time I started selling soap I did that; I had made soap with two different molds and was using a cheese slicer. Now I am using the same molds for all my regular and goat milk soaps and I have a regular soap cutter. But to be sure, I pulled a couple of dozen bars from a couple of weeks old to about nine months old and feel confident with stating a 4 oz/114 g weight. I don't plan on having soap more than 9 months in inventory, but if I do, I will reweigh them.

That's a great idea, but I don't see how I could do that as all my soaps have slight difference in the ingredients.

I have a separate Ingredient label that I print on 'Address Label' stock that goes on the back of my soaps.

onlinelabels.com is sooo easy! Order the labels from them, cheap! Then use their Maestro Designer. Its really super easy! way easier than trying to get it lined up in Word or Acrobat! Their Designer tool is already lined up and perfect for using their labels. I agree, make sure your printer alignment is adjusted and the paper tray liners are nice and snug. They have so many really cute clip art too. The design options are limitless!
I have been using online labels for years now, I love them!

I see this hasn't had a reply in some time but I have run into an issue. I do sleeves for my labels. My design is great in my opinion. I need to fix a few things however and that is the ingredients. I print my design through Avery and then I do my my ingredients through MS Word and line it to the right so it fold over to the back side of the soap and secure it, HOWEVER I can't align it perfectly and I actually am missing a few things...with the Mica you can't just put Mica and I use different colors all the time so I will be constantly editing. I think it's best if I make my own because of this but it's very frustrating and it worse than cleaning up after making soap 🤣 there has to be an easier way.

I decided to keep it simple. I want all my soap to have the same ingredients but maybe a few different additives ( clay, oatmeals, poppyseed) but the rest I make goat's milk soap only.... always have and people always loved it.

My ingredient list would look something like this

Olive oil, lard, coconut oil, fresh goat's milk, castor oil, sodium hydroxide, fragrance oil ( or essential oil depending if I use one or the other or a blend) , titanium dioxide, sodium lactate.

And however I go about wording Mica and also doing additives that I want.

I see this hasn't had a reply in some time but I have run into an issue. I do sleeves for my labels. My design is great in my opinion. I need to fix a few things however and that is the ingredients. I print my design through Avery and then I do my my ingredients through MS Word and line it to the right so it fold over to the back side of the soap and secure it, HOWEVER I can't align it perfectly and I actually am missing a few things...with the Mica you can't just put Mica and I use different colors all the time so I will be constantly editing. I think it's best if I make my own because of this but it's very frustrating and it worse than cleaning up after making soap 🤣 there has to be an easier way.

I decided to keep it simple. I want all my soap to have the same ingredients but maybe a few different additives ( clay, oatmeals, poppyseed) but the rest I make goat's milk soap only.... always have and people always loved it.

My ingredient list would look something like this

Olive oil, lard, coconut oil, fresh goat's milk, castor oil, sodium hydroxide, fragrance oil ( or essential oil depending if I use one or the other or a blend) , titanium dioxide, sodium lactate.

And however I go about wording Mica and also doing additives that I want.

Maybe you could add an additional line below the common ingredients saying: "May also contain ..." then list the rest of the ingredients that may change.

This is my label for my Regular Soap:

Ingredients: Olive Oil, Water, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil (RSPO), Sodium Hydroxide, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay. May contain Fragrance Oils and/or Colorants.

For my Goat Milk Soap:

Ingredients: Olive Oil, Raw Goat Milk, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil (RSPO), Sodium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay. May contain Fragrance Oils and/or Colorants.

I went with 'may contain' because I don't always use FOs and/or colorants.

Labeling for my Lotion Bars is different as it is considered a 'cosmetic':

Ingredients: Cocoa Butter, Beeswax, Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, Fragrance Oil and Arrowroot Powder.

You will note the inclusion of the FO...no 'may contain'. If I were to add a bit of say...Gold Sparkle Mica, I would need to change the label to:

Ingredients: Cocoa Butter, Beeswax, Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, Fragrance Oil, Arrowroot Powder and Mica (Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide).

I also make a "Mechanics" soap. It is my Regular Soap with pumice powder added to it:

Ingredients: Olive Oil, Water, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil (RSPO), Sodium Hydroxide, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Pumice Powder, Castor Oil, Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay. May contain Fragrance Oils and/or Colorants.

I use Avery Address Labels and usually print up a box at a time and then drop the sheets into file folders (Regular Soap, Goat Milk Soap, Lotion Bars, Specialty Soaps). My front labels are different...they are currently mass printed by a company, but don't contain the name I have given the soap or lotion...like Apple Cinnamon, Chocolate Espresso or Ginger & Lime...those have been hand-written in because the labels didn't come on sheets. I'm in the process of changing that so I can run them through the printer. When I originally had my labels printed I hand-wrote in the weight, but after a year's time, I am confident in the cure weight of my soap and it's printed on the label (it's still less than the actual weight).

Latest posts

Back