How do you dispose of EOs and FOs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a few bottles of EOs that I don't want to use anymore. I also have a few bottles of FOs that have just the tiniest bit leftover from when I poured out the last bit into a measuring cup for soap making.

How do you dispose of these? My waste management company won't take anything on the truck with a flashpoint.

Best regards,

Aft Galley Soaps

I was told to pour them into a flat, shallow container and set it out so they can evaporate. If you have enough of the EO's left, you can try reselling them in a group.

^^^ Yep, same here.

If I like the EO or FO, just don't have enough to use in soap or whatever, I will pour a bit onto a tissue and put the tissue in a shallow ceramic or plastic dish. I use this to scent the bath or a cabinet. Refresh as needed.

Or mix about 3% EO or FO by weight with a 50:50 mix of vodka and distilled water. Put in a spray bottle as an air freshener. Shake well before spraying. Tip: If you have polysorbate 80, mix the EO or FO with 1x or 2x that weight of PS80. (Example: For 5 g of EO, use 5-10 g PS80) Then add to the vodka-water mixture. The fragrance should mix with the vodka-water so you don't have to shake before use.

Okay, thanks. Once I pour out the excess (I like the tissue idea, as I can hide it in a closet and keep away from the cats - maybe to help scent bath towels!) can I just rinse out the bottle and then throw it away? Seems like such a "stupid" question but I want to be on the safe side of disposing of these bottles!

Thanks.

Yes, that would work fine. I often leave the bottle open for awhile to let the EO/FO evaporate out, then I give it a good rinse just to be thorough.

^^^
This is exactly what I do. I let it evaporate and then rinse. if it's glass I clean it with soapy water and rinse well then, fill with a bit of alcohol and swish it around then pour out and reuse bottle for other fragrances.

I dont throw away anything if I can help it..I use little bit left overs on a cotton ball, for closets, bathroom, even toss one under the seat of my truck.

If I have more than I need for a cotton ball refresher, I'll use it to blend with something else, or use it in a small candle for a refresh. :)

I like to dust the neighborhood cats with the leftovers. Great smelling strays in my neck of the woods. :)

Disclaimer: Not really. I was joking. Please refrain from sending me hate mail. No cats were injured in the making of this joke.

I just set mine out on the back patio, opened. During the "Not Winter" season here in S Texas, they evaporate out real quick.

I like to dust the neighborhood cats with the leftovers. Great smelling strays in my neck of the woods. :)

Disclaimer: Not really. I was joking. Please refrain from sending me hate mail. No cats were injured in the making of this joke.

I just set mine out on the back patio, opened. During the "Not Winter" season here in S Texas, they evaporate out real quick.
Beachy - did you see on the news about the green cat? (I forget where it is located) I believe it turned green because it slept on items that were painted green and the colorant was then transferred onto the kitty. The way cats groom themselves I hope the paint is not toxic. Anyway..... contributing to the bad jokes department.... if said kitty was to roll onto, oh let's say, a horrible smelling 'sour green apple' fragrance would it be safe to say the cat is now a sour puss? ........hopefully I am not injured in making this joke.

Beachy - did you see on the news about the green cat? (I forget where it is located) I believe it turned green because it slept on items that were painted green and the colorant was then transferred onto the kitty. The way cats groom themselves I hope the paint is not toxic. Anyway..... contributing to the bad jokes department.... if said kitty was to roll onto, oh let's say, a horrible smelling 'sour green apple' fragrance would it be safe to say the cat is now a sour puss? ........hopefully I am not injured in making this joke.

I think this is the cat you speak of. He's in Bulgaria. I saw this video last night of him.
http://youtu.be/-OJMIqVrON0

I kept e.o.s and f.o.s for 10 years. They didn't last. (Except for one from Lebermuth, FYI.) I was told to pour them in kitty litter and dispose of that. Another suggestion is to add a few drops to your humidifier.

Lol! Great thread. Love the kitty jokes! I am sure it is quite unnecessary to throw out any EOs. Lots of excellent suggestions here. I have just acquired a ceramic oil burner for the bathroom (it arrived from Ebay this a.m.) - you put some water in the top, and add a few drops of EO of your choice (or a mixture) and light a tea light in the space underneath, and you can fill the room with fragrance. I can't wait to try it! If there was only a smidge left in the bottle, I suppose you could put some water in and give it a good shake, and pour it out into the top of the burner.

On the soap course that I just finished tonight, there was a lovely lady who knows loads about EOs, being a masseuse and aromatherapist. She was so interesting to talk to and was always on hand to give advice about which EOs were best for different things. She recommended a book - "The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Ann Worwood, which I was able to get 2nd hand on Ebay and it's full of fascinating stuff. I am new to all this and looking forward to getting stuck in. My favourite class of the 5 week course was the one on natural soaps, when we fragranced and coloured them with all natural stuff, including EOs. Just gorgeous. I can't imagine myself ever wanting to throw any away!!!!!

Shoshi

Thanks, all. I gave up on EOs in soap years ago (I could never get them to stick with the exception of Lemongrass) so these are EOs I bought in the "natural" section of my grocery store to make my own mopping solution with (LOL). I don't even know if I could use them in soap, but I like the idea of soaking cotton balls in them and leaving them in all of my closets. I can do the same with the rest of the FO before washing it out multiple times and rinsing it with rubbing alcohol (as mentioned above), and then sending them off to the recycling plant.

Thanks!

On the soap course that I just finished tonight, there was a lovely lady who knows loads about EOs, being a masseuse and aromatherapist. She was so interesting to talk to and was always on hand to give advice about which EOs were best for different things. She recommended a book - "The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Ann Worwood, which I was able to get 2nd hand on Ebay and it's full of fascinating stuff. I am new to all this and looking forward to getting stuck in. My favourite class of the 5 week course was the one on natural soaps, when we fragranced and coloured them with all natural stuff, including EOs. Just gorgeous. I can't imagine myself ever wanting to throw any away!!!!!

Shoshi

Worwood also has a book THE COMPLETE BOOK OF ESSENTIAL OILS AND AROMATHERAPY. It is my go-to resource for essential oil use.

Many EOs don't last forever, especially the florals and citrus EOs. It's always good to keep fragile EOs in the fridge if you have room and definitely always in opaque bottles. Lavender, to give an example, will oxidize with time and oxidized lavender will trigger DOS in soap (yep, that's happened to me!) and can be irritating to the skin. Better to use that old lavender or other older EO in a way that you can just enjoy its scent -- on cotton balls or tissues or in potpourri.

Back