How do you cut your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all who said that the cutters are expensive…. They are, and more so for those of you paying shipping to various islands, far-flung continents, and such. Sorry about that. 🥲

I do see single-wire cutters for less than $100 on Amazon with good reviews. I’d also encourage you to search and advertise for destash cutters. I probably saw three on destash right after I bought mine. 😆 Even so, I don’t regret the cost at all. As noted above, I easily spend that much on a bunch of other ingredients over time. It didn’t hurt that I received a bonus or gift card or something like that which I used towards this, as well. It all came down to priorities (oh and cutting skills, which I sorely lack), which are so personal. Whatever works for you!
@AliOop i have seen you mention destash several times, but when I look online a ton of sites come up. Do you have a particular online destash that you use? The ones I found are mostly centered on fabrics

Another word on the cost of a multi-cutter...sure, they are pricey but they are cheaper than the ER co-insurance for "mishaps" from using that cute pink super sharp ceramic knife. They are an investment...for me especially since my manual dexterity is waning.

Just my experience. For those who use knives successfully, I envy your skill!❤

I use a mitre box from Home Depot and a pastry cutter thingy. Bars aren't uniform. It's ok since I don't sell. If I want really pretty bars I use my BB 18 bar mold. Gonna use it today.

For those who use knives successfully, I envy your skill!❤
Me too!!! And mitre boxes, too!

@Nicolesica I am not on FB anymore, but there used to be at least 4-5 FB soaping supply destash groups, plus there are usually local FB buy-sell groups. A friend of mine who is on FB keeps an eye out for soaping supplies for me on those sites, and I check Craigslist and NextDoor every so often myself. Those aren't limited to soaping supplies but are great because no shipping is involved - just local pick-up. EDIT: I heard that SMF has a new soap supply destash group on FB.

Last edited:
Seriously. I have always used individual cavity molds and now I have a loaf mold on the way! I am just a hobbyist, not selling. I make for my household and friends/family as gifts. I am trying to decide if I want to cut by hand with a knife or buy a wire cheesecutter that I can easily modify for soap cutting. Suggestions welcome.

I think I just found my answer on a past thread. Seems like wire cutters are way more consistent at getting a nice even clean cut, so seems like a modified wire cheesecutter will be the way to go to see if I like it.
I didn't see anybody say a fudge cutter yet. Edit Paulie beat to to it by 15 mins prob while i was typing this but I've never owned a wire cutter. I'm still using the original cutter I purchased when I first decided to learn how to make soap 10+ years ago. Bought it from Brambleberry but can't find one on their website now. Looks just like this tho: https://a.co/d/0aTKMNk
It's good to learn how to cut individual bars by hand before buying a wire cutter imho. The quality of the steel used for cutting the soap or fudge comes into play here, & my fudge cutter is beautiful steel like samuri sword that's very easy to clean and well-nigh indestructible, as opposed to a wire that's less fun to work with, lower quality steel, and they break. Of course I'm saving up for a wire cutter for uniform bars, but I like ss wood-handled fudge or pizza cutters too unless I absolutely have to use a wire cutter bc I need uniform cuts or am working in a soap factory. Using fudge cutter to slice up an 20.2 lb lb batch only takes me like ten mins and I suspect i get a better final bar bc I can let my loaf cure for 5-10 days before bustin' out my samurai fudge cutter, whereas w a wire cutter you need to slice bars within a couple days or the wires'll break. The bar looks better if you let the loaf cure up a little bit more than 2 days before cutting. My cleanup, storage, & maintenence much easier, too.

The zen learning how to cut a perfect bar by hand straight up n down. Sometimes I like to cut fat bars for soap, & sometimes I like to cut bars up in quarters for little hand soaps.

Last edited:
I wonder how Elly over at Elly's Everyday Soapmaking makes cutting them so uniformly by hand look so easy? I recently watched (more like ogled) her pine tar soap video and her bars were so pretty!

I wonder how Elly over at Elly's Everyday Soapmaking makes cutting them so uniformly by hand look so easy? I recently watched (more like ogled) her pine tar soap video and her bars were so pretty!
i just cut up some 15% pine tar soap into bars last week
my little fudge cutter is visible at the end of the table in the middle
out of 68 bars i later noticed i goofed on one that's obviously V-shaped
9MOpAz.png

Last edited:
@johnnyusa those bars look great. I've never heard that tool referred to as a "fudge cutter" before; I know it as a pastry knife, bench scraper, or dough scraper. :)

Regarding cutting by hand, those who do it well I think tend to underestimate that it's really a talent and skill, kind of like piping, quilting, singing, playing an instrument, and other art forms.

Sure, we can all get better with some instruction and practice. But some will always shine, while others will continue to struggle. I am at peace with the fact that my hands don't obey my brain when it comes to cutting, drawing, painting, etc. It helps me enjoy even more the art of those who are really skilled. :)

Not visible in that pic. It's on the back end when I'd likely gotten a little tired and lost focus and actually think i do remember when it happened bc I felt the movement was off and only then noticed by mind was completely elsewhere as I'm rotly cutting soap so i snapped myself abruptly back into the present moment to finish task at hand. It can't be rote bc each bar needs focus.
Here's that bugger:

9rxDWv.jpg

@johnnyusa I've never heard that tool referred to as a "fudge cutte r" before; I know it as a pastry knife, bench scraper, or dough scraper.
I dunno, I never knew what was. Just the tool i bought perhaps as a kit from bb. I recall the instructions said something about it being a fudge cutter, but a pastry knife you say? I've seen people cut fresh fudge for crowd demonstrations and it's the same tools they move the hot fudge around on marble surface before cutting. So chefs use pastry knives to cut fudge? I never thought of fudge as a pastry but i guess who would make fudge except a pastry chef

Last edited:
To all who said that the cutters are expensive…. They are, and more so for those of you paying shipping to various islands, far-flung continents, and such. Sorry about that. 🥲
NZ.jpg

Regarding cutting by hand, those who do it well I think tend to underestimate that it's really a talent and skill, kind of like piping, quilting, singing, playing an instrument, and other art forms.
I'm pretty good at all those things ( except quilting coz I've never tried it - but I'm sure I would be good if I tried it. In fact, they say I'd be perfect if i wasn't so modest! :p)

The nonconsistent backs on the soaps I pour in individual cavity molds makes me bananas enough.

To smooth the backs of my cavity molds I fill them right to the top and then scrape the excess off with a plastic cake scraper - perfect every time.
Look here:

https://tinyurl.com/2tv3w2t8
Or google amazon cake scraper. 2 for $2.50 US

Cutting soap by hand requires timing too. If you are not ready to cut when your soap is exactly ready to cut you will end up with a mess.
Multi soap cutters are absolutely fabulous.

Clearly I am in the minority, but a friend gave me a multi bar cutter that she was no longer using. I gave it back to her to sell - I didn't like it. But, I enjoy cutting my soaps with my single bar wire cutter. I couldn't get consistent cuts until I bought my first wire cutter. The uneven and wonky cuts bothered me enough that the cost of a wire cutter was worth every penny to me. However, if I sold and had a lot of soap to cut every day I'm sure I would have a different opinion about the multi bar cutter.

Seriously. I have always used individual cavity molds and now I have a loaf mold on the way! I am just a hobbyist, not selling. I make for my household and friends/family as gifts. I am trying to decide if I want to cut by hand with a knife or buy a wire cheesecutter that I can easily modify for soap cutting. Suggestions welcome.

I think I just found my answer on a past thread. Seems like wire cutters are way more consistent at getting a nice even clean cut, so seems like a modified wire cheesecutter will be the way to go to see if I like it.
Lordy! When I started, I used a knife or hand held cutter & a miter box. When I moved up to loaf molds, I discovered that I can't cut a straight line even with the miter box! Saved up some soap dollars and bought a single wire cutter - because it was cheaper than a multi-cutter. Today, 3 years later, I'm still using the single cutter and drooling over the multi-cutters!! I think I'm getting closer to purchasing one..................:nodding:

Same! My hand cuts were always in abstract as far as uniformity goes. But I now have a lovely 1” wire bar cutter and it pleases my adhd soul so much
I love the “ping” when the wires come through the loaf! I could not cut a uniform bar if my life depended on it. I have a single bar clutter as well as a multi bar cutter and love them both - because I sell my soaps, I need to be able to make uniform cuts.

I started with a ruler and a cleaver, then quickly moved on to a cheese slicer that I slightly modified. It is only because I was able to pick up a Bud's Single Bar Cutter really cheap from a destash that I bought one AND only because I would be selling my soap.

If I was only making soap for 'home'...I would still be using the cheese slicer.

I can cut a 5lb loaf fairly quickly with a Single Bar Cutter, so unless I am needing to cut several hundred bars I simply can't justify the expense.

Last edited:
I love the “ping” when the wires come through the loaf! I could not cut a uniform bar if my life depended on it. I have a single bar clutter as well as a multi bar cutter and love them both - because I sell my soaps, I need to be able to make uniform cuts.
Mine makes a satisfying 'thwok' sound.

Latest posts

Back