How do you choose the right colorants?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madelyn Cole

Reaction score
Just getting back into CP soap making after many years and trying to learn about all the different colorants appropriate for CP soap. Of all the choices - micas, oxides, FD&C, D&C, pigments, liquid lab colors - I don't know how to choose. Many sites that sell these products just don't provide enough information on how to choose. They all seem to say they're appropriate for CP, but I guess I'm looking for some tutorials or advice from more experienced soap makers. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

I use micas, oxides and ultramarines as well as charcoal. They perform well and are consistent. I get mine from Nurture Soap Supplies, TKB Trading and Micas and More. Nurture has free shipping on micas if you spend 30-35.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried various colorants and like to use micas (Bramble Berry) and naturals. I like micas because I can just dump it into the batter instead of first dispersing in oil. And I like the colors using baking cocoa, paprika, and charcoal -- and again, I just dump it into the batter. Have fun coloring!

Latest posts

Back