How do you calm lye phobics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mention that I do use lye, which all soapmakers must use, even the glycerin and all-natural ones. I say that lye is like baking soda, it's a chemical used up in the process of making the thing (see, now I'm gently telling them they eat chemicals all the time). And that I use food grade lye, the kind used for pretzels, since it is the purest. It's gone well so far.

Ha. Do what I did when I had a fear and accidentally splash some soap batter on yourself and realize that the tingle is not so bad and then calmly pour vinegar over it.

No. Don't. Rinse it off with cool/cold water, and save your vinegar for non-skin spills. Neutralising it directly on your skin will worsen the situation, and can cause worse skin damage.

Ha. Do what I did when I had a fear and accidentally splash some soap batter on yourself and realize that the tingle is not so bad and then calmly pour vinegar over it.
I have also splashed on myself & have vinegar water & a sprayer handy. Got my goggles on!!! I’ve heard of bad accidents w/children getting burned. Gotta be ‘safety smart’ at all soaping times!!

I use a very diluted solution 20/1 for accidental splashes.

I have also splashed on myself & have vinegar water & a sprayer handy. Got my goggles on!!! I’ve heard of bad accidents w/children getting burned. Gotta be ‘safety smart’ at all soaping times!!

I use a very diluted solution 20/1 for accidental splashes.
AF Soap hasn't been here in 3 yrs, so probably won't see your quoted post to them.

SMF, does not endorse using vinegar in any amount, on lye burns, only water, then seek medical advice.

Latest posts

Back