How do you account for Avocado Puree in CP Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfu5857

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing an Avocado Soap using Puree. What I'm not sure about is the way we account for the avocado. Do we net out some of it's natural oil and water properties against the recipe oil and water amounts? I'm thinking about using it as an additive and netting out some of the water to help puree the avocado. I'm afraid this will either add too much water or too much oil, hence not enough lye. Anyone with some guidance please let me know. Much appreciated.

When I make soap with avocado puree, I only add 1 tablespoon of puree ppo, and I don't adjust anything except maybe for my superfat (I might lower it by 1 percentage point).

Obsidian- did I read you correctly? You really make a soap using avocado puree as 50% of your liquid? If so, how does it come out? I've never used more than a tablespoon ppo.

IrishLass :)

Use it in place of water. For example, use a 33% lye concentration on soaap calc. Then use a 1:1 water ratio per water to lye, and the remaining water amount is your avocado puree you add at trace. If you normally use a, lets say, 5% Superfat you can adjust down like Irish lass recommended by a percent or so to accommodate the excess fat from the avocado pulp.

Obsidian- did I read you correctly? You really make a soap using avocado puree as 50% of your liquid? If so, how does it come out? I've never used more than a tablespoon ppo.
IrishLass :)

No, you misunderstood. I use a 50% lye solution then enough alternate liquid to bring the total liquid up to the full water amount.

In the case of my avo soap, I used 2 oz coconut milk & 1 oz avocado puree in a 1 lb batch. This was in addition the the water used.

Its still curing but its nice and hard, not oily or otherwise weird.

I use 1 ripe med Hass or Fuerte avocado per 6 lb batch of soap, do not change my superfat andif I need more liquid I use fresh aloe, milk water etc. Since I soap at 3-4% superfat the little extra fat does not hurt a thing. There really should not be any fiber left with a nice ripe avocado, but I suppose it depends of what type avocado is available.

Back