How do we feel about canola (rapeseed) oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it’s been a moment since this topic was raised but I have a big ol jug of canola oil. My first few batches were made with BB quick mixes and they all list canola in them, so guess who thought it would be smart to buy a jug?
So if I use it, should I try between 10-20%? Do I need to use anything special to prevent DOS? Would love advice…. 🌸

I know it’s been a moment since this topic was raised but I have a big ol jug of canola oil. My first few batches were made with BB quick mixes and they all list canola in them, so guess who thought it would be smart to buy a jug?
So if I use it, should I try between 10-20%? Do I need to use anything special to prevent DOS? Would love advice…. 🌸
I think quantity would be recipe dependent. If you are already using, say 20-30% OO, and another high oleic liquid oil, then I would go low - about 10%.
For DOS - I wouldn't worry so much - it has about half the linoleic of RBO, which I use at 20% with no problems. Unless of course you also use RBO and intend to use this as well.

This is one of my most used recipes with costco brand canola. It makes a really nice bar and helps keep the soap light too. Noones ever said anything about the canola oil on my label, but im not sure those get read🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221105_002031_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221105_002031_Chrome.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone use it in any decent quantity? Aside from being a budget oil - what do you like about it?
The only downside ive read is that it has a very short shelf-life. Not sure how that works when its made into soap, so maybe someone could explain that, if they know. I also found an interesting link, which i'll put below.

I would advise you not to eat /Cook with Canola Oil. It’s not good for you!!!
There seems to be a lot of contradicting info about canola oil online. I self-study nutrition as a hobby when im not trying to make soap, and as far as im aware, it is healthy for the diet, unless its been genetically modified, then it isn't. This is worth a read...

Click Here

The only downside ive read is that it has a very short shelf-life. Not sure how that works when its made into soap, so maybe someone could explain that, if they know. I also found an interesting link, which i'll put below.

There seems to be a lot of contradicting info about canola oil online. I self-study nutrition as a hobby when im not trying to make soap, and as far as im aware, it is healthy for the diet, unless its been genetically modified, then it isn't. This is worth a read...

Click Here
You may want to check out this link & information.
https://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/canola-oil/
Researchers from Harvard T.H. Chan report that canola oil may be bad for you because canola oil can contain solvents, trans fats, and too much omega-6. Compared to soybean oil and walnut oil, canola oil may have similar trans fats content.

Even though omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids are healthy for you, too much omega-6 can lead to inflammation. This is one of the reasons why many people avoid canola oil in their diet. Western diets tend to be high in omega-6 and low in omega-3. Many scientists have linked this imbalance to the increase of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and autoimmune conditions.
Hope this assists in your understanding of Canola Oil and why it should be avoided in your Diet. Blessings!

Researchers from Harvard T.H. Chan report that canola oil may be bad for you
The link i sent on my previous message was from a legitimate source, medical and science based, and it said pretty much the same thing as yours about gmo's, except your quote above said "may" be bad for you. May is a nothing word, it means they don't know.

Most oils that contain omega 6 and omega 3 have more omega 6 than 3, like flaxseed oil for example, and that isn't bad for you. According to American nutritionist and author Earl Mindell, flaxseed is one best sources of omega 3, it isn't bad for you, but its not good if taken everyday. So that could be the case for canola that isn't genetically modified.

Personally, i think there's alot of misinformation and contradictions all over google, so its best to do the research into how your canola oil or whatever else was made. I only take hemp seed oil as a supplement, because it has a perfect ratio of omega 3-6-9. Its the most balanced oil.

Last edited:
When I first started making soap I would just plug anything into soap calculator. I made a few soaps with canola oil, all I remember is they were a bit softer on unmolding and a slime feeling lather, but this was a hogpog of everything in the cabinets. Also I use to use a lot more olive oil back then with no clay or anything so who knows.
I don't remember having any dos with tho bars.

Me!! I do!! I use it at a lower percentage, 13% as one of my substitutions for OO which I don't like. My DOS issue comes from hard water but even so, I don't like to go above 15%. I haven't noticed any specific properties from it at such low % but I'm fairly happy with it.

Not sure that helps much

Errrm - excuse me! I'm talking about making soap here people, not eating the stuff! I don't use canola oil in my culinary creations - only coconut oil or olive oil. My reasons for that probably align to some of the beliefs outlined in the previous handful of comments above.
The reason i initially asked about using canola oil for soap is because it is sooooo cheap here I was thinking of replacing (or reducing) my OO percentage and thus lower the price of making my soap. What I found out is that regular canola has high levels of the lino fatty acids which can contribute to DOS. However, high oleic canola oil is more closely aligned to OO (with the exception of the higher amount of palmitic that OO has). The only high oleic 'rapeseed' oil I can get here in NZ is grown here, and cold pressed here, and as such is MORE expensive than OO. But given that I already use 20% RBO in my recipe which has even higher amounts of linos, I'm not prepared to risk using canola and RBO together. Nor do I want to reduce the amount of palmitic that the OO contributes to my recipe.
As for the soy debate - well that's a whole 'nother story but bear in mind that this is for SOAP, and also that a lot of things you have as GMO over in the USA are non-GMO here in NZ so we are talking different animals.

Last edited:
Looky look what I just scored! NZ grown, cold pressed, high oleic. I wouldn’t buy it before because it was too dear, but we bought some for our house sitter at their request, and this is left over. I can feel an experiment coming on.
View attachment 69432
I am jealous. I love Rapeseed oil.

I apologize to the community for letting myself getting drawn into such a debate regarding a non-soap issue.
I shouldn't have even made the initial neg comments about canola, altho if one person here reads them and stops eating those three oils I will feel like I helped someone.
I was all ready to make 20 lbs of Xmas bar soap yest until I realized I didn't have enough NaOH. Then I just read about soap all day n didn't make any but i need to whoop up some pt ls even tho no palm kernel oil, sunflower, or castor to spare for this batch. Just olive and coconut. I want pt ls RIGHT NOW.

It doesn't matter what is the true definition of cognitive dissonance on a soap forum. I'm sorry you guys. Won't happen again.

Last edited:
You deleted all the posts from me and johnnyusa, and none of our posts were derogatory, and no use of profanities. it was a difference in opinion, that drifted away from the subject of canola oil. I thought America was big on free-speech, not power trips because they are admin. Deleting posts is just another form of being a control freak and controlling speech that you personally don't agree with. That's the definition of woke. No disrespect. Does banter not exist anymore?
View attachment 69625

RIGHT @johnnyusa, so you apologise....

...THEN, go back on your apology almost instantly in the next paragraph by continuing to get the last word in, still telling people to avoid canola oil, and what other 2 oils? While still talking about cognitive dissonance, and apologising again at the end! Your claims on canola oil aren't true, you still don't know the definition of cognitive dissonance after multiple resources, and obviously don't know how to apologise properly!

let it go, friend
i enjoyed the witty banter last night but the admins have spoken
their house, their rules

Well, lesse. I've got TONS of canola oil, I've got dragon fruit peel juice extracted and frozen, also rice rinse water in the fridge, glycerine, and a soaping itch that refuses to yield. So I think I'll make the canola oil soap, with some aging olive oil before it dips into disgraceful old age and see where it goes when I've returned from my vacay.
I'll use a salt brine with the starch and the pink water. Not that I'm expecting anything special from the tint, just thought, "what the heck". And also have sodium lactate to help with the unmolding, and hopefully a boost with the lather? I'll post the recipe in a little bit on the Forum.
I've made soap with canola before, btw, and had no issues with it. Just wanted to put that out there. But I was a beginner then, so didn't really know what I was doing. My soaps didn't last that long, and I was taking wild guesses at what the numbers on SoapCalc meant. Not that I'm a wise old woman, just that I'm just an old woman now. 🧓🏻 😂 But I haven't been using canola in the intervening years, so I thought I'd give it a go because I'm taking a trip back to Mexico, and giving another workshop. This time better prepared because I know what's needed, and what's available locally. And what's not. And canola is cheap and they have Costco down there! 😍 So I'm off to get that recipe down!

Last edited:
Back