How do I use coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Kates

Reaction score
If cocnut oil is uniformally solid throughout the jar can I weigh it by scooping some out or do I need to melt the entire jarful first? And if I do have to melt the lot, can I do it in the microwave? And if so, how many times can it tolerate being treated like that? Will it go rancid in the jar after multipler melts - if I have to do it that way?

Coconut oil is okay to scoop out. however palm oil unless it is especially homogenized you need to melt it

I purchase palm in 50 lbs in a bucket. I never melt it. I just scoop down the middle. Even when I bought it in smaller amounts I only melted it to get it out of the bottle. I mostly use lard these days but still make non-animal soap with palm. They also sell homogenized palm in 50 lb cubes. Thad doesn’t need to be melted either.

Hi Jan! I'm a newbie, and had the same question. Here's what I found out - 8 oz of solid coconut oil is the same as 8 oz of microwaved CO, so you can just scoop it out and then nuke it! That's what I do, any ways! :)
Thanks Deborah. I had not even considered the weight vs volume aspect! I was concerned that different parts within the CO might not solidify at the same rate therefore my solids might not contain all parts equally hope that makes sense.

Back