How do I separate glycerin/glycerol from CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me out!

I've been reading about "salting out" glycerin from soap and I wondered, once the soap is skimmed off the top, how does one separate the glycerin from the nasty stuff and salt and so on? Like, my understanding is that there's going to be impurities and such in the water layer, so how would I get the glycerin without those impurities?

I'm looking to make glycerin myself out of my soap for using in various concoctions, and then use the glycerin-stripped soap for other purposes. I think I understand how to chemically separate them, but not physically separate them, if that makes sense?

Thanks! :)

NileRed posted an interesting YouTube video on separating (and purifying) glycerol [from biodiesel, using methanol].

Purifying glycerin is a painstaking process.

NileRed posted an interesting YouTube video on separating (and purifying) glycerol [from biodiesel, using methanol].

Purifying glycerin is a painstaking process.

Thanks, this was a fun watch! He does add a few things that I wouldn't have to worry about (think methanol, hydrochloric acid, etc.) but if salt likes to separate out I might be able to separate it just by letting it settle and then boiling off some of the water. I guess it just means I'll need to minimize the impurities (ie. maybe not use soap that has a lot of colour, fragrance, etc. to get stuck in that glycerin layer).

Thanks, this was a fun watch! He does add a few things that I wouldn't have to worry about (think methanol, hydrochloric acid, etc.) but if salt likes to separate out I might be able to separate it just by letting it settle and then boiling off some of the water. I guess it just means I'll need to minimize the impurities (ie. maybe not use soap that has a lot of colour, fragrance, etc. to get stuck in that glycerin layer).
here's an academic article by a Nigerian student on the process of soap manufacturing. Hope it will be helpful

Attachments

• SOAP_AND_DETERGENT_MANUFACTURE.pdf
    161.8 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back