How do I make a whiter soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KigerKat

Reaction score
I've made several batches now using a basic Palm, Coconut and Olive oil recipe, and they have all turned out to be a creamy color. I definitely don't have a problem with the creamy color, but I want to make a white batch of soap so that a swirled color will stand out more.

Can I just use white color, or is there an additive that will make it white? Or maybe does anyone have a pretty simple recipe that makes a whiter soap?

Thanks!!

TheSoapyEwe said:
Titanium Dioxide will help to whiten up your soap :D

Thank you so much! I looked this up on WSP, and a customer commented that they added it with the oils and not at trace. Is that a good time to add it?

Which is better to work with, oil-soluable or water-soluable?

I've heard to use white mica but it didn't help whiten my batch at all, it made it a light tan, darker than my batch should have been on it's own.

I'd say that you'd add it into your oils, but I'm a HP'r :D

As far as oil or water soluble it depends on what you're using it for, a water based or oil based product.
There are some TD's that are both.

with that mix of oils I'd expect pretty darned white - are you also using FOs?

carebear said:

I am using different kinds of FOs. I know anything with vanilla in it will add a more brown color to the soap. The last one I used was "Wedding Day" from WSP. The FO was clear, contained no vanilla, but the soap still had a yellow/creamy color in it.

The olive oil I'm using is just a basic olive oil from Costco, so I'm not sure if that is making any kind of difference or not. It has a gold color to it, so I'm assuming that's what is making the soap yellowish.

I'll give the Titanium Dioxide a shot and we'll see what happens!

I've used Titanium Dioxide a few times. I like the pre-mixed one best. I think it's both water and oil soluble. I added at light trace like a colour. When I used the powder, I mixed it thoroughly with oil and then added and mixed well but the final product has little dots of undissolved TD which I can smear with my finger and I'm not happy.

I just realized that I have a sample of TD from a sample pack of colors that I purchased from BB a couple of weeks ago, so I'm going to give it a try tonight!

After reading other experiences, it seems like it does work best when added to the oils. Some people do add at light trace, but it seems like most people add it earlier.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out with the same recipe I've been using.

Thanks!

try a very light oo, i have only made 3 real white soaps and ive made more than 85 batches! It really depends on the fo also.

Sparklebrook said:
Which is better to work with, oil-soluable or water-soluable?

I've heard to use white mica but it didn't help whiten my batch at all, it made it a light tan, darker than my batch should have been on it's own.

I have some watersoluble TO at home and have failed to get it to work properly despite several attempts. I tried adding it to the lye water, I tried adding it to the soap after trace, no success. It always leaves a grainy undissolved appearance.

I highly recommend using oil-soluble TO. You can find out which it is when ordering because the website should tell you so. I got mine from BB. If anyone wants my water-soluble stuff, let me know. It will be a pleasure for me to get it out of my cupboard.

I have used both oil soluble and water soluble TD, and I recommend using the water kind.

With the oil, I found even when adding it to a bit of oil or glycerin and mixing VERY well before adding to my soap, I still sometimes ended up with little white spots of TD in my soap.

With the water soluble kind, I stick blend it right into my lye water and it dissolves completely! Never had a problem with the white dots in my soap since switching to the water soluble!

using grade a olive oil insteaad of the greenish extra virgin oo helps to lighten the soap. adding coconut milk will help with whiteness as well. i prefer that to adding tdo as it can be hard to get it such that you don't see specks/streaks of the tdo. tdo can also cut down on soaping qualities ,,,,

KigerKat said:
carebear said:

I am using different kinds of FOs. I know anything with vanilla in it will add a more brown color to the soap. The last one I used was "Wedding Day" from WSP. The FO was clear, contained no vanilla, but the soap still had a yellow/creamy color in it.

The olive oil I'm using is just a basic olive oil from Costco, so I'm not sure if that is making any kind of difference or not. It has a gold color to it, so I'm assuming that's what is making the soap yellowish.

I'll give the Titanium Dioxide a shot and we'll see what happens!

Have you made an unscented batch?

when measuring how white the bar is, how old is the soap?

i've had soap that was kind of yellowish/darkish, but at about 6-8 weeks, it whitened up

KigerKat,
I'm glad you asked that; I've been wondering the same thing. I ended up using only peanut oil in an attempt to get white soap, and it worked, until I added WSP Watermelon FO, and that turned it brown. :( Also, I found peanut oil soap does not take to any kind of coloring additives; all the colors turned brown as well. Guess I'll have to get myself some titanium dioxide.

Lard makes a snowy white soap which is great for swirling and no need to whiten with TD. 75% lard and balance coconut. :wink:

Bubbles Galore said:
Lard makes a snowy white soap which is great for swirling and no need to whiten with TD. 75% lard and balance coconut. :wink:

My very first batch was with lard, and yes, it's very white. But I know people can feel a little grossed out when they see 'lard' on the label, so I wanted an all-veggie oil recipe, so I use palm instead.

I haven't made an unscented batch yet, but I suppose that would be very helpful!

As far as the batch I made last night, I used a little TDO in the oils and herbal FO at trace (which had a green color to it). I wanted to put a green swirl in the soap, but something very odd happened. I measured out some soap in a separate container at trace and added some blue and yellow coloring, which actually turned grey. I shrugged it off and added it to the rest of my soap, which was seizing like crazy by now. When I gave the two colors a couple of stirs, the color started turning red. I took it out of the mold and cut it this afternoon, and it ended up a dark burgundy color. Who knew yellow and blue could make dark burgundy!?! :wink:

The bulk of the soap is still a creamy color, but a whiter shade so I think the TDO does help. The swirl actually turned out really cool! I'm a little bummed that it wasn't green, but the burgundy looks good. I guess maybe the TDO affected the other colors?? All I know is that I'm very happy with the finished product.

Thanks so much for your help!!! You guys are awesome! :D

How to Mix Titanium Dioxide

First know which kind you have: Water or Oil Soluable\

For Water: Put your TD into your lye/water right after you have mixed in your lye. I use a whisk in a tall juice jug so not to have any splash. First I whisk the lye, then I whisk the TD.
The idea is not to beat the lye, just whisk until the TD is mixed thoroughly. I also do this with my mica's, right into the lye. The HEAT is the key to totally dissolving the TD and the mica.
Some mica's disappear in the lye, and it looks like there is no colour in there at all but most come back once the soap has gelled.
I periodically go back and give it a whisk while I'm waiting for it to cool. Add about a 1/2 tsp per lb of total batch weight.

Same deal with the Oil soluable, right in with the melting oils. Trace is far too cool to have it dissolve properly and you get the TD slime people talk about.

TD is great for making pastels out of colours that are too strong for the look you are going for. It doesn't take much so go easy, you can always add more.

Hope this helps,

Sygrid

Bubbles Galore said:
I've used Titanium Dioxide a few times. I like the pre-mixed one best. I think it's both water and oil soluble. I added at light trace like a colour. When I used the powder, I mixed it thoroughly with oil and then added and mixed well but the final product has little dots of undissolved TD which I can smear with my finger and I'm not happy.

I have the TD from Heirloom.Supposedly oil soluble but I had NO luck that way.Tried it with water-no probs! I dissolve it in a couple tsp from water amt & add to oils just after lye.Haven't worked up the nerve to add to lye yet,may do after reading this thread :)

Back