How do Dr Bronner's & Vermont Soap preserve their liquid castile soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd never heard this one before. Does anyone have any more information about this issue?
This whole thing about LS "requiring" a preservative is a fairly recent phenomenon. If it's "required" why isn't there a preservative specifically formulated for liquid soap? Preservatives are made for lotions & potions and such -- and each one is designed to serve a specific type of product, liquid soap excluded because it's alkaline, vs acidic.
More information on preservatives can be found here. This is an excellent resource for preservatives in general. http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2013/09/adventures-in-liquid-soapmaking-hints.html

HTH
Wave.gif

Last edited:
Maybe part of the reason for using them now is because people do seem to tinker around with the PH more than they used to...
You may be right, Soaper. That's why it's important for experienced LS'ers to discourage Newbies from messing around with the pH. As Faith/Alaiyna B mentioned on the site you linked to above, pH lowers after a 2-week sequester. For example, the last batch of LS I made recently started out at pH 10.5. After sequester, it dropped to 9 and was crystal clear.

Unfortunately, some experienced LS'ers don't bother with this important step and feel it isn't necessary -- which is true to some extent when using glycerin instead of water to make the lye solution. That being said, the advantage of sequestering, to my mind at least, is being able to correct any problems that show up after the 2 weeks are up. All it takes is a little patience.

Latest posts

Back