How did you go about naming your business?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way back, I was watching an episode of Desperate housewives and it just came to me, That I'm a desperate soapwife and it stuck.

Ok, here goes. My last name is Prince and it reminded me of "Royalty" and I also wanted a word that evoked a feeling of being pampered. My BF's last name is Rock (perfect because he's a musician!) and we often refer to ourselves as "Rock & Royalty" lol :thumbup: I almost went woith Rock & Royalty Soapworks but felt it was too long and what if we broke up :Kitten Love: so Royalty Soapworks it became.

I was thinking up names for my fictitious soap company a few months ago, I had a list of about 15. Once I started checking them on Google, I realized how many soap makers there are out there because all of the names on my list were taken in some form or another. A lot of Etsy soapers have their store on Etsy but didn't reserve the web domain. I also noticed that there would be a web site from Virginia and an Etsy user with the same name from Arizona.

When I finally take that big leap into selling, I am going to reserve my name on EVERYTHING - Facebook, Twitter, yahoo email, Google +, Etsy, web domain, Instagram... Even if I don't use some of those sites it will prevent others from using the name. I guess I am paranoid though.

Ya it sucks when you think of the perfect business name just to find out it is already taken. I keep thinking I want to trademark mine but its expensive and for now, im willing to take the chance. I do need a web domain and all that stuff, just havent gotten around to it yet... but I know eventually I need to...

Yeah it does suck. I had some variations and all were taken in some form or another. My chosen name has none of my original words in it. I'm changing my name again too. The one I reserved isn't memorable enough and it's too close to another soaper who I admire. Complete coincidence btw. Some people may think its too early for me to be worried about a name but I think having a concept and identity are important so there is a direction to work toward.

I was fourteen. I had just started my soap business in 2010, and had been brainstorming over a name. I had no idea!
One day I was sitting with my mom who was on the phone. It was a long phone conversation so she started to doodle. She started writing all the names of our family backwards...seriously, it can be fun. She wrote my 2 year old sister's name, Ila May, down backwards. LIGHTNING STRUCK!
Yamali.
Yamali Naturals (..soap and skin care, soap shop, etc)
It has become our family's brand name. We are currently soap and salve-makers, but we are planning on adding medicinal therapeutic essential oil blends to our product line, which will be under the name "Yamali Essentials". And it doesn't stop there. We hope to have Yamali Herbals (herbal teas, bulk herbs and supplies), and well, the possibilities seem endless at this point. Personally, I think it is important to have a name that YOU MADE UP. That makes it unique and nobody can really take that from you (coming from a person that is trying to fiqure out how to legally copyright it...any suggestions? :) ). Think about it!

Once you have "the name" that is the point that gives your "business bud" the chance to grow, blossom and bloom. I hope you find a name that fits!

~Emma
Yamali Naturals
To see more about our business name see our blog post below:
http://yamalinaturals.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-blog-look-story-behind-name-yamali.html
Our Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/YamaliNaturals?ref=si_shop

My first thought was a name that had the word "Bliss" in it. It sounded nice, yet most people wouldn't think of me as a "Blissful" person. I've said it before, that I belive our passion for our Creations is like leaving our personal mark. One day "while riding on the bike with hubby" I thought of a name, I told my husband right then and there. He liked it, but it just wasn't right. Then all of the sudden he said "Blond Bird Creations" or "Blonde Bird Bath". Well that was it I'm rolling with Both~ I love making bath products, yet I make new clothing and dolls out of recycled clothing as well. So Blonde Bird Creations for everything. Living in NM I'm like a duck out of water, there are Raven Haired Beauties everywhere and I'm that silly, goofy, sometimes called Hippie Chick from Northern California. When people refer to me they say "she's the blonde"... I'm rolling with it and I know that Creations will give me the flexability that I've always enjoyed.
Best wishes in finding Your Personal Business Name~

We live on Pine Street, and make products other than soap (herb mixes, jams with our fruit, etc). We gifted these 'products' for holidays to our family, before going into business. My baby brother once said that he welcomed all and any Pine Street Products, so this is the de facto name that the business took. If we ever decide to only make soaps and balms, we'll change it to Pine Street Soaps. Right now it is Pine Street Products, with a farm and a soap division.

Back