How can I prevent that "sticky" feeling in my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK8

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to soapmaking. I just made my first batch earlier this month and have since made two more. I am looking for soap that feels moisturizing in the shower while using it AND while rinsing it off (meaning it rinses away without leaving that "squeaky clean" feel). I am giving some of my soap away to my mother and she's told me she doesn't like that sticky feeling in soap.

Example: It may not be fair to judge soap just 2 weeks old, but I was really curious about how my first batch felt. I cut off a tiny piece and washed my hands with it. The lather felt nice and soft, but rinsed away with that "feeling" where I couldn't rub my freshly rinsed hands together lightly without them kind of sticking as I did so. I'm trying to make my soap rinse away without that feeling if possible. I've searched this forum and the internet but can't seem to find anything on the topic. I know glycerin soap (that I've used) has always given me this sticky feeling until I dry off.

A perfect example of what I am looking for is Oil of Olay's bar soaps. They feel soft while you wash and after you rinse, and I just want to know if it's possible to get a similar after-rinsing softness without all the additives in commerical soap. I am using cold process recipes. So far I have palm, coconut, grapeseed, sunflower oils and mango and shea butters to use as ingredients but will order more once I determine what it is I am missing.

I hope you guys understand what it is I'm asking, I am just wondering if there's a certain ingredient that keeps your skin feeling slick and soft while/after you rinse. Or maybe someone can explain what causes the feeling in the first place. Is it too cleansing? I've played with the soap calculators trying out my own recipes but I'm not sure what to look for to predict any stickiness. I'm kind of embarrassed I sent my mother my soap without trying it first cause now I think she will be disappointed! Oh well, I'm still learning! Thanks for reading!

Kat

Sure, the first recipe I used was:

Mango Butter 2 ozs
Coconut Oil 9.5 ozs
Shea Butter 2 ozs
Palm oil 9.5 ozs
Sunflower oil 1 oz
grapeseed Oil 2.5 ozs
Caustic Soda/Lye 4 ozs
Water 10 ozs

I found the recipe online but substituted a couple of the liquid oils for the ones I could find. (instead of rice bran and castor I used those above). Hope this helps, and thanks

Kat

I ran your recipe through my calcs and you're at a 0% superfat.

When you made the substitutions in the recipe did you account for the different SAP values? You may have a very harsh batch of soap and I'm guessing that's why the soap makes your skin feel sticky. Please recheck your recipe, make sure what you posted is correct. You may be able to save it by rebatching and adding more oil.

I'm the super-cautious type, and personally I wouldn't take a chance, I wouldn't use it.

Deda,

Thanks for your reply, it seems I have a lot of stuff to look into now. So I'm assuming from what you've said, that if the soap is superfatted sufficiently then it's going to be more like what I'm looking for? I appreciate your insight!

Edit: Upon further reading and looking back at my first 2 recipes, I see that I made the mistake of assuming that recipes were ready to use and that they'd already done all the calculator stuff with them. I was mistaken! Thanks to you guys for making that obvious to me and saving me a lot of wasted time! Now I just hope that correctly made soap has that lovely softness I'm trying to get.

Kat

Hey Kat,
I'm sure you haven't wasted your time; making soap is trial and error :D
You don't wanna know how bad my first soaps where!
You've got all the right oils, so once you've fixed your recipe it will be allright. Maybe you could post it before you're going to soap? :wink:
I like to check my recipes with http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalc.asp
Good luck!
Dagmar

Hey there Kat,

As you continue to work with soap and play with ingredients you will find a recipe that becomes "you", that will have your signature in how it feels.

Something else you could try would be Tussah Silk, it adds a wonderful silkiness to soap and now that I've tried it I can't imagine making any soap without it.

Enjoy the journey, we'll enjoy sharing it with you.

Cheers
Lindy

I've never heard of Tussah Silk?!? What exactly is it and where do you get it?

Exact same problem!!

Hi Everyone,

A) I have the exact same problem with the sticky/tacky feeling from my homemade batch of soap. The squeaky clean feeling does go away after a few minutes of being dry.

B) Also, the soap is pretty drying on the skin and although people online say that soap isn't meant to be moisturizing b/c it is a wash off product, I still think soap shouldn't be drying as mine is. Can anyone suggest anything for me to try?

1) Soap recipe - Batch #1 - 48oz or 3lb recipe

Olive oil (45%) - 21.6oz
Coconut oil (25%) - 12oz
Avacado oil (15%) - 7.2oz
Rice Bran oil (5%) - 2.4oz
Castor oil (5%) - 2.4oz
Shea Butter unrefined (5%) - 2.4oz

Lye 6.51oz
Distilled water 15.84oz

Superfat = 6%
(calculations done through the lye calculator from soapqueen)

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks seasoned soap makers!

Jay

I ran your recipe through my calcs and you're at a 0% superfat.

When you made the substitutions in the recipe did you account for the different SAP values? You may have a very harsh batch of soap and I'm guessing that's why the soap makes your skin feel sticky. Please recheck your recipe, make sure what you posted is correct. You may be able to save it by rebatching and adding more oil.

I'm the super-cautious type, and personally I wouldn't take a chance, I wouldn't use it.

Hi MK8, Shea butter is contributing to the drag or stickiness.
I find that salt water soap sometimes called a Brine Soap rinse very well.
Add 8% salt (as the % of oil) to the water before adding the lye.
Rude

Back