How big a recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyStacy

Reaction score
It's been years and years since I made soap, having to get new supplies because I got rid of mine long ago.

If I get two of these silicone molds on Amazon, how much weight of oils should I start with? I don't want to have leftovers that I'm trying to find a receptacle for!

They are described as 3.8oz rectangles and I'd have 12 of them (12 bars).

Last edited by a moderator:
A rough rule of thumb that I use is oil x 1.5 = end weight. So, if I use the 12 x 3.8 oz = 45.6, then 45.6 divided by 1.5 = 30.4. So, I would use 30 oz of oils.

Looks right to me. You could always start with a little less to test it and make sure you don't go over if that is a big concern.

Welcome back to soaping! How come you paused?

Thank you both for the starting guideline!

I have been obsessed with knitting for the past several years, so much so that I'd completely stopped soaping. I'm buying a 1/4 beef from my sister & brother-in-law, including a lot of tallow, so I thought I'd put it to good use. I'm not going to get super crazy into it like I used to be, with the exotic oils, I'll just pick up some coconut & olive oil to blend with the tallow for some basic soap bars. Won't have to buy any more Ivory for a while!

Thank you both for the starting guideline!

I have been obsessed with knitting for the past several years, so much so that I'd completely stopped soaping. I'm buying a 1/4 beef from my sister & brother-in-law, including a lot of tallow, so I thought I'd put it to good use. I'm not going to get super crazy into it like I used to be, with the exotic oils, I'll just pick up some coconut & olive oil to blend with the tallow for some basic soap bars. Won't have to buy any more Ivory for a while!

I was an obsessive knitter, and I ended up with repetitive stress issues. I needed a new obsession, and found it in soap making. Funny - knitting is what took you away from soaping, and what brought me to it. I do miss knitting. Enjoy your soap!

I have one more question, not so much related to the topic title...

Where's a good place to cure my soap? I'm in a small apartment, I don't have any unused rooms or lots of free space. I'm concerned with cat hair & dust if I just leave it sitting out in open air for a month or two. Can I put it on a rack for a few days or a week and later move to a container with the lid slightly ajar?

I have one more question, not so much related to the topic title...

Where's a good place to cure my soap? I'm in a small apartment, I don't have any unused rooms or lots of free space. I'm concerned with cat hair & dust if I just leave it sitting out in open air for a month or two. Can I put it on a rack for a few days or a week and later move to a container with the lid slightly ajar?

If you have top kitchen cabinets with open tops and cheesecloth, you have space to cure soap. Just get some of those cheap plastic baskets from Walmart or the dollar stores-mine are 10.5 inches by 6.5 inches and 2.4 inches tall with big openings in the sides. Put the soap in the basket, wrap loosely with only a double layer of cheesecloth, and stick on top of the top cabinets. Do remember to turn them weekly for a couple of weeks to allow the bottoms to dry, but then forget about them for a month.

I have lived in a small apartment, so I am thinking back to the limited space issues...

How much clearance do you have above your refrigerator? Would a similar set up such as Susie suggested fit there?

Maybe that same idea on top of a tall piece of furniture? In my smallest apartment I resorted to stacking my speakers atop my entertainment center because there was no floorspace for them. When I stay in hotels with tall furniture, I often put my empty luggage or cooler on top because it's really the best spot to keep it out of the way.

Hanging from a ceiling hook is another idea. Think of a plant hanger or one of those hanging baskets with fruit. In fact you can hang those from just about anything. It does not have to be a ceiling hook.

Maybe install an extra wall shelf just for curing soaps. My son put up a row of shelves way up high, pretty close to the ceiling in my granddaughter's room just so she could display her stuffed toys. Something like that could work for curing soap (on a more modest scale.)

Depending on the type and age of the refrigerator, some stay very cool. This is assuming, of course, that there are no cabinets above the refrigerator.

Back