How bad did I screw up the batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyclement05

Reaction score
I have my first HP batch in the crock pot as we speak. So far, it's behaving beautifully and I'm quite excited about what I hope will be a lovely soap.
HOWEVER, this is a GM soap, with 40% of my liquid being GM. I added it at trace, so it's cooking with the soap. I know the color will wind up being somewhat dark due to the "carmelizing" of the sugars in the milk, and I'm okay with that. But will the milk burn? Will it stink?
How badly have I screwed this up???

Thanks!

I don't know but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't be a problem. After all, people use milk in baking and the food turns out fine. (Well, except for my baking but I won't discuss it since I don't want to get off topic.)

Also, I remember a couple of members who posted they gelled their GM soaps. So, I think if the milk can handle gelling, then HP shouldn't be a problem. I know this is different but I used buttermilk powder in HP and it turned out fine although it did turn a dark cream color. I didn't mind the discoloration because I didn't care about the color.

Don't forget the pics! :wink:

Thanks! well, it's in the batch now and doesn't smell bad at all. And the initial lather is DIVINE!!! I expect to unmold these in the morning so I'll post pics in about 12 hours. :)

BTW, I'm kinda diggin' the HP process. But I still love the smooth creaminess of CP, so I'll probably start doing a mix of both! yay for soap!!!!!

I did a HP goats milk soap once and it did smell! It still smells and it's been over 9 months that I made it. Oh well live and learn. I think HP soap is very pretty if you stir in some grated similar colored soap just before molding. It gives it a kind of designer look. I don't have any around because I sell it fast but I will make some soon and post pictures.

I added a bunch of Peppermint, Rosemary and Tea Tree EO since it's a shampoo bar formula. So far, no smell beyond the EOs. And the first lather is really awesome. Superfatted with a bit of jojoba oil. My hair is begging for a shampoo with this bar!!!!

I added a bunch of Peppermint, Rosemary and Tea Tree EO since it's a shampoo bar formula. So far, no smell beyond the EOs. And the first lather is really awesome. Superfatted with a bit of jojoba oil. My hair is begging for a shampoo with this bar!!!!

Thats funny mine was a shampoo bar too. My husband is still using them from that 'burnt' batch but I won't touch it.

Oh no! I had almost the exact same thing happen to me today. I was making a batch of oatmeal, honey and goat's milk and held the goat's milk back intending to add it after the cook with my fancy schmancy 10X vanilla EO. Dummy me had a brain fart and before I knew what I was doing, I dumped the goat's milk in at emulsion. BOO! Oh well, every time I make a goat's milk/honey/oatmeal recipe, it overheats super fast and volcanos in the mold on me anyhow, so why not just cut out the middleman (cutting/grating to rebatch) and go straight to HP?

FWIW, every time I've rebatched a GM soap, they've come out just fine, just darker. I only get the ammonia smell when I add the GM anytime before trace and it hasn't yet survived rebatching. Interestingly, it did survive HP this time but not so strongly that my soap doesn't smell like a chocolate chip cookie (really, really hope this vanilla sticks!).

I'm sure your soap will be just fine :D

I unmolded and cut my oops at about 20 hours. The ammonia smell is completely gone and the vanilla is still hanging around. The color is a few shades past brown sugar but a lot of that is probably from my vanilla. I think it complements the chocolate chip cookie scent really well though. Hope yours looks great too when you cut it!

Back