How are commercial/industrial soap bars better/worse than the ones we make?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to, also respectfully, disagree with your disagree. Whether you are making HP or CP...it is STILL fats + alkali = soap (speaking solely of true soap).

Now if you want to discuss which is 'better'...HP or CP...to what degree or purpose? Whether I use my recipe in a crock pot or a bowl...the results are STILL the same...soap. You would need to provide me with scientific proof that HP produces a more "skin loving softness" than CP.
We can agree to respectfully disagree & leave it there. 🧼💫✨😉

Last edited:
I believe the difference between artisan soap & standard run-of-the-mill commercial soap is more than love. Yes, soap is soap. Scientifically speaking, it's all soap. BUT, what the artisan can do, and perhaps not all do, is specialize a formula to meet the specific needs of a specific person's skin. Commercially, this may not be particularly profitable. But for me and my skin, I have no problem spending the time necessary to find a formula that works for me.

And isn't that part of the reason many (not all, of course) of use chose to make soap - because we wanted something that worked better for us than what we were buying? OR perhaps we found something that worked better than the rest, but it was so expensive, we wanted to learn how to make something just as good, but at a lower cost? Not knowing of course that soapmaking is a darned expensive hobby if you let it become so.

Anyway, not all artisan soap is any better for my skin than standard commercial soap. So on the one hand, yes it is better, and on the other hand, no it is not really that different. It all comes down to the formula, IME.

Latest posts

Back