How accurate are scent calculators??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
I usually make only 2 or 3 lb loaves of HP or CP and have always used 1 T of FO (or EO) plus 1 extra T. So for a 2lb batch I would use 3T of scent and for 3 lb soap batch (EO or FO) 4T of scent. Always worked no problem. Now I have to do some 5 and 10lb batches and I'm lost.. My worst fear is making soap and having the scent weak. My customers like scent.. What's the easiest way to do this?? I need some help.. I just can't get my head around it..

I use the scent calculators for safety reasons. I almost always use amount recommended for "strong". There are a handful of FOs that are strong to my nose so I use a medium amount.

You may notice that with some FOs, they are pleasant at the light end of the scale but can develop unpleasant notes when you scent heavily with them. Coconut FOs are one that can do this.

why not just ...
2lb / 3t = 1.5t per lb
therefore
7.5t in 5lb
15t in 10lb

I use percentages for my formulas, so then I can resize the batch and keep the same fragrance strength I used previously.
I also use different percentages for different fragrances, guided by the fragrance calculator, and experience. (I usually use the 'medium' scent level)

why not just ...
2lb / 3t = 1.5t per lb
therefore
7.5t in 5lb
15t in 10lb

I use percentages for my formulas, so then I can resize the batch and keep the same fragrance strength I used previously.
I also use different percentages for different fragrances, guided by the fragrance calculator, and experience. (I usually use the 'medium' scent level)
Percentages are fine as long as you know the IFRA of any given fragrance and don't go over that. A lot of fragrances (both EO and FO) can be skin safe but at very low percents, some as low as .1% so you definitely wouldn't want to exceed that.
However, there are a lot that are safe at much higher rates - I've seen some as high as 20% or even higher - which I would never use that total allowable %.
So it's good to know what the highest skin safe amount is and go from there. I think most scent calculators take that into consideration. However, I don't know, as I don't use them. I go off the IFRA guidelines for my scent.

I checked out BB's scent calculator then realized it only works for their scents. I use soap calc for all recipes. There is a scent calc on there but I don't see how it can work if hp is supposed to use less scent than cp??? Not to mention FO used less than EO? I'm not sure what info is correct. Percentages sound good to me based on what I know had worked in the past.

why not just ...
2lb / 3t = 1.5t per lb
therefore
7.5t in 5lb
15t in 10lb

Upperclass T or Tbl= tablespoon not tsp. 1.5 tsp would be no where near enough fragrance in a lb of soap for my customers. Teaspoon = t or tsp. Even 1 T per lb would not be enough. I pretty much use 6.1% of oils or 1 oz per lb of oil. There are a few low usage spicy fo's and Eo's that I usually just do no use. If a fragrance has a low IFRA recommended usage I do not use it for soap

I'm with Carolyn -- I scent at 6%. If the IRFA guidelines are below that, I won't use the fragrance for scenting soap. I'd rather use fragrances that have a comfortably wide margin of safety in my soap.

I will use EOs that have a lower safe % in a leave-on product intended for a specific healing purpose. Then I break out Tisserand's Essential Oil Safety and follow those guidelines. But that's a whole different story.

Upperclass T or Tbl= tablespoon not tsp. 1.5 tsp would be no where near enough fragrance in a lb of soap for my customers. Teaspoon = t or tsp. Even 1 T per lb would not be enough. I pretty much use 6.1% of oils or 1 oz per lb of oil. There are a few low usage spicy fo's and Eo's that I usually just do no use. If a fragrance has a low IFRA recommended usage I do not use it for soap
As I never use 't' to represent teaspoon, I just used t to reflect the OP's use of t rather than assign a potentially incorrect measure, perhaps x would have been more suitable.
I use between 1% and 2.5% fragrance depending on the FO/EO, different folks....:)

I too use 6%. My customers like well scented soap.
So for a 5 lb batch I would just take the OO and CO oz in oils ..80 X 6% =4.8 ounces of EO or FO's for the batch? ASSUMING I'm using "usual" EO's like lavender, rosemary, Euclyptus, lemongrass etc. (Peppermint I would obviously back off a bit) . Is that the equaltion I would use.. Looks too simple..

Not sure why you are just taking the OO and CO in oils. You take the oil weight and multiply it by .06.

Keep in mind that the BB calculator uses the weight of oils + water, while the MMS one (and some others) just use the oil weight.

Not sure why you are just taking the OO and CO in oils. You take the oil weight and multiply it by .06.

Keep in mind that the BB calculator uses the weight of oils + water, while the MMS one (and some others) just use the oil weight.
I just rechecked the BB fragrance calc and it let me enter essential oils.

Thanks ..BB doesn't mention oils or total soap weight (including water etc) when configuring scent amounts. I just went back and entered an essential oil and it gave me the amount to use for a 5lb batch though. I only mentioned olive and coconut oil cause that's all I have access to on a quasi consistent basis.

HA Sorry, I was talking about soap calc, and just realized you/everyone is referring to the frangrance calculator.

Sorry about that! Disregard my statement
oh good..I just got done reading all the fine print about the IFRA and was wondering if I had missed another important memo! lol

Back