Hot Stuff!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About my Sandalwood ITP attempt (and I DO mean attempt!)

It's been 28 hours and the cover of the wooden soap mold is still quite warm. Is this normal? Is the soap still in gel phase?

I will post this answer which answers most of the questions at once.

With my infrared thermometer, at 28 hours it was 95 degrees (F) - 35 (C). Ambient temp is around 75 (F) - 24 (C). Now, this morning, at 37.5 hours it is 90 degrees - 32 (C).

Yes, I looked at it a few times. It didn't look like it was still gelling. Aesthetically, it looks, well, terrible.

When I finally cut it, I will post pictures. This is my 12 pound batch.

It seems to me that you have done a decent job with building that mould!
One thing that scales up from test batches slower than mass/batch size, is heat losses. So, though it sounds like a lot of heat is in there, it is just about that, it's in there and just doesn't disperse as quickly as from smaller moulds.
Also keep in mind that infrared thermometers measure the surface temperature. When well insulated, this isn't much different than the core temperature, but still it might be even warmer in the inside.
You have created a monster – gelling is probably a safe bet, but beware of cracking and volcanoes! When in doubt, don't close the lid as tightly.

Aesthetically, it looks, well, terrible.
Sigh. You are not the one to decide this. 😜

Some pics:

The main problem: there was too much brown and it was too dark.
The paprika and turmeric did well.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3853.JPG
    IMG_3853.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 73
:( I think the main problem is your modesty. Far behind on second place, photography lighting.

I find them beautiful and unique with their coarse wood grain-ish texture. Some might gain from bevelling, others are fine just as-is. Colours are judged at earliest one week in, under indirect daylight.

Some pics:

The main problem: there was too much brown and it was too dark.
The paprika and turmeric did well.

I disagree with your assertion that it looks terrible. It's not what you had planned, but I think they are actually quite attractive, they look like a masculine, woodsy soap, which if I recall correctly matches your scent.

When I started making soap I was unhappy with most of them because they never turned out like I thought they would. My friends oohed and ahhed over what they thought was really pretty soap. I realized that they had no idea what it was supposed to look like, so I stopped telling them what it was supposed to look like and just started saying "Thank You".

I really like your soap- very rustic and masculine. I'd buy some for my husband. You're welcome 😁.

Sorry, don`t agree with you. They do not look terrible. At all. They are perhaps a bit too thick for my hands to handle personally, but terrible? Absolutely not.

If they were pieces carved out of a change in the seasons, I think these would be perfect representatives of Autumn in all its glory and colors.
Well done I say.

I agree, I think there is nothing wrong with that soap! Maybe it didn't turn out like you hoped, but it certainly isn't a fail. I would like to see them in better lighting.

Unrelated question: When you use spices like that do they affect the scent?

Back