Hot processing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Groves

Reaction score
So, I don't see a lot on hot processed soaps. I am read mixed reviews about scooping it when it reaches the dry mashed potatoe stage and when I do and I unmold ( even when I press firmly) it almost has these weird ....layers.
My question is,can I scoop it in when it's in the jelly like consistency? I make cold process but thought I'd experiment. I cut my loaf early tbh and the texture is waxy and smooth. Maybe due to the fragrance oil. I believe I may have added too much

Attachments

• 20210430_174631.jpg
    20210430_174631.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 11
Oh okay!
I thought maybe I did something wrong. I do love the cleanup afterwards compared to cold process. It's a breeze.

Thank you!

You can actually mold during pretty much any stage of the HP process, as the soap will finish saponifying on its own - just like CP does. I prefer not to wait for dry mashed potatoes for the very reasons you mentioned - the soap is way more "rustic" with lots of holes and layers. I don't mind the look of it as much as the fact that sometimes pieces will come off during use. It holds together a lot better, and is much smoother, when it is molded sooner.

You can get very pretty, non-rustic results with HP as well. I usually pour as soon as the batter comes together after the applesauce stage. Somewhere on the forum Dawnie started a tips and tricks thread for HP. Maybe search the forum for HP. Ive been doing CP lately especially since its getting hotter but ive been HPing for several years.

There is always sodium lactate or even milk - adding SL to your recipe or a bit of milk after the cook makes it much more fluid. Also, many people cook it for too long in general which is a big factor in the rustic look - turning off the heat earlier can work wonders. The residual heat in the pot as well as the heat being generated by the saponification process can easily finish the soap off without overdoing it

Thanks guys! Yeah, not into the layered, chunky rustic look. And is there an easy way to add colors? I was adding beetroot and it worked but definitely a whole other ball game when mixing....maybe mixing it into the coconut milk before adding to the batter?

Beetroot looks pretty when mixing but will turn brown in the soap. Madder root and pink kaolin clay will both give you a nice pink that stays pink.

@The Efficacious Gentleman has given you some good tips for fluidity. You can also disperse your colors in warmed coconut milk, or a bit of hot sugar water. In fact, all of your post-cook additives, as well as any utensils or containers used for splitting colors, should be warmed. Introducing anything cold or even room temp can cause the batter to firm up quickly.

@Dawni has posted some good tips about fluid HP. There are also some good YT videos although a few of them are cringe-worthy.

Thanks guys! Yeah, not into the layered, chunky rustic look. And is there an easy way to add colors? I was adding beetroot and it worked but definitely a whole other ball game when mixing....maybe mixing it into the coconut milk before adding to the batter?
Beetroot will fade quickly. Best pink is madder root ( natural dye supplier)

So, I don't see a lot on hot processed soaps.
This was my problem too when I was new. Especially regarding colorants.

I posted several links here, some are mine some aren't, but all have great tips from so many here in the forum. I do HP 95% of the time, so if you come across any of my threads you will definitely see great advice from others in them, even regarding colorants.

Back