Hot processed mess.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GORONK

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to soap making and have done exactly 4 batches as of this posting. Cold process came out smooth and luxurious looking. (still curing don't know if it is.) Hot process well how ever wonderful the product is. it is down right hideous to look at. Love child of Frankenstein and the Blob. I am losing about an inch on each end (loaf) doesn't look well formed and somewhat crumbly along those lines. Any help would be appreciated if you know any tricks to get a smoother finished bar.. Thank you.

Gordon

It sounds like you overcooked it. You can add yogurt at the end of the cook or Sl and sometimes that will make it pour easier. HP is just more rustic looking for the most part. That's why I do CP. Since it takes the same amount of cure time and sometimes longer for HP. If you post your recipe and process we can better help you.

It sounds like you overcooked it. You can add yogurt at the end of the cook or Sl and sometimes that will make it pour easier. HP is just more rustic looking for the most part. That's why I do CP. Since it takes the same amount of cure time and sometimes longer for HP. If you post your recipe and process we can better help you.
Thank you, I will do that. "Rustic" what an appropriately descriptive word. It is rustic. I think thats how I'll describe myself. Again, thank you

I agree with @shunt2011 - it sounds overcooked. It is also wise to start with a higher water:lye ratio than one would typically use in CP. There are some good YT videos on how to get a more fluid hot process batter - try Shalebrook Handcrafted Soap (except please don't use a glass measuring bowl like she does!), or Ultimate Guide to Hot-Processed Soap.
Thank you, going to look some up now. Probably should've started that way. Read a couple articles without pictures and decided to jump in. I will verify that the adage a watched pot doesn't boil. In soap making it does with all haste. Put my lye container in the sink 10 feet or so from my work space and it was bubbling out onto the counter with gusto.

Back