Hot Process_Flaking Skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterbubbles

Reaction score
I just recently started making hot process soaps. I love everything about it. I use my cold process recipes/follow tutorials for the hot process, including the "zap" test. I superfat with cocoa butter (mostly) & shea butter after the "cook" and everything feels, looks & lathers fine. There's just one problem: My skin & hubbies skin is dry & flaky!

Never had this problem withh my CP soaps. Help! What is the problem? Am I just using my HP soaps too soon? :-D. Appreciate any advice. I love HP!

How soon are you using your HP? I'm a firm believer that even HP soaps will benefit greatly after a full cure - meaning the same amount of time as a CP soap.
I know that they are "safe" to use after 3 days, but I also believe that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it.

HP is saponified immediately, not cured. Curing happens over a period of weeks. Some people think once its saponified that it is ok to use, but experience tells most of us that the quality certainly improves over a 4-6 week cure, whether HP or CP.
With that being said, unless you are having a reaction to an ingredient in your soap, even uncured non-lye heavy soap shouldn't cause your skin to be dry and flaky. What's your superfat %? Do you always use Cocoa/Shea butter? Many people have allergies/sensitivities to both. Do you have a high Coconut oil content? Could it be a fragrance sensitivity/allergy?

With that being said, unless you are having a reaction to an ingredient in your soap, even uncured non-lye heavy soap shouldn't cause your skin to be dry and flaky.

Actually, uncured soap is extremely harsh and absolutely can and will dry out your skin no matter the sf, it's just not technically harmful like lye heavy soap is.
Over time when it has a full cure is when it's much milder and gentler on your skin and won't cause dryness or the irritation.

With that being said, unless you are having a reaction to an ingredient in your soap, even uncured non-lye heavy soap shouldn't cause your skin to be dry and flaky. What's your superfat %? Do you always use Cocoa/Shea butter? Many people have allergies/sensitivities to both. Do you have a high Coconut oil content? Could it be a fragrance sensitivity/allergy?

I gotta disagree with this part, at least from my own experience, as it has happened to me several times over the years. Uncured soap is the worst thing (next to lye heavy soap) on my skin. I am rather sensitive and uncured soap has caused my skin to become dry, flaky, and raw. This was a hard learned lesson as a new soaper! 4 weeks is the minimum cure time for me, for HP or CP or even liquid soap, and 8 weeks is preferred.

I'm a 6 week cure advocate myself (I don't HP, but ALL my CP soaps cure 6 weeks) and I have dry skin...but I've never gotten flaky from washing my hands with my 3 day old soap (the end pieces after unmolding/cutting). It's not as nice and conditioning as 4 or 6 week soap, but not so harsh that my skin has issues from it.

Maybe it's just me...

Thanks everyone! Very helpful advice. I believe I will let my HP soaps "cure" about 3 - 4 weeks before I use them. {Maybe a little less than 4 - 6 weeks like my CP soap. Any other advice is always appreciated.
butterbubbles

Obviously everyone's mileage varies, but I've been using my HP soaps the day after I make them and haven't had any dryness issues. I make my soap with pure animal fats though, not sure if that makes a big difference. I also make my soap at a fat discount and do not superfat at any point. I've noticed that extra time sitting out makes the bars firmer, but I haven't noticed any difference in the gentleness of the soap based on curing time. Just my observations!

So here are my observations. I only make CP soap and i do admit to having washed my hands with a sliver to try out a new recipe within a few days of unmolding. I do notice that the soap is soft, and doesnt lather tremendously and in fact seems a bit drying. BUT... after the soap has had a good 4 weeks of cure, everything changes! The lather is huge and the bars are nice and hard and long lasting with no drying effects. I have tried my soap at 3 weeks and i do notice that there is something special that happens between weeks 5 and 6. I think they are at their optimal stage and only get better from there on out. I hesitate to sell my soaps at 3 or even 4 weeks now because if i give it just a little longer, the final result and first impression are worth the extra patience :wink:

Back