Hot Process vs. Cold Process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paupau

Reaction score
I am so green to this. Here's my next question.

Let me start by saying that I hate people who go out and buy a book and suddenly start a business when they really don't have the experience.

Well that being said, I bought several books and that is exactly what I am trying to do. I have been researching this for a long time, which you can see in my introductions page.

I wish to make dog soaps and I have 10 weeks to get my formulations down. Because CP takes at least 4 weeks to cure, I was considering HP.

I who like to know your likes and dislikes and the pros and cons of each method.

Nice to meet you...

CP:

Pros: You can have smooth swirls, smooth soap. I like CP because I can play with it more. (in my opinion)

Cons: Waiting 4-6 weeks for the soap to cure, soaps can volcano, and morph.. lye heavy if not careful.. and will have to rebatch. Can take alot of FO..

HP:

Pros: Soap is ready instantly.. cant you use it the very next day. Although I wait for a week for the soap to harden. No lye heavy soap. Use less fragrance compared to CP...

Cons: Has a rustic look (for me I dont like very much.. some people do)
Swirls are not really swirls in the soap. Not as smooth looking as CP.

Dog soaps like cold process soaps or liquid soaps?
I would start with an uncolored, unscented batch. Dogs can be much more sensitive to fragrances or essential oils than people.

Irena

And I'd give myself more than 10 weeks to get this soaping down. There is a lot to learn and understand and 10 weeks might not be enough time. Just take it easy and enjoy this rather than trying to rush. If you don't know what you are doing or put a product out before you are really ready, it could really hurt you and your reputation and come back to bite you in the butt in some way, shape or form. I do understand and appreciate your enthusiasm. Just wait until you get started, then you will see what fun this can be.

Thanks for your responses. CP, I will be the first to admit that 10 weeks is rushing it. I just tend to over think things....I took 2 years to make my first batch. :D

I will also admit that I am a passive agressive procrastinating control freak and I would hate to put out a bad product. So if I don't make the deadline it will be okay, but if I don't give myself a time frame it will never happen.

Back