Hot process vs Cold process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinkiwi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure that this question will have come up somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find such a post here...

I'm just wondering why most people seem to use Cold process as opposed to Hot process? Are there some glaring problems or inadequacies with the hot process that I'm missing?

I've only had experience with the Hot process, but from what I gather, perhaps the thicker soap at the time of moulding would make it a bit less versatile for swirling/creating crazy decorative effect?

Cheers,

Kleinkiwi

I really like both! For me, the main limitation to HP is that I can only make a 12 bar batch b/c that's what my soap crockpot will hold.

CP makes a creamier-looking bar and if you do it right it is more evenly toned. I actually really love the marbled look of HP, especially for discoloring FOs.

HP takes longer because of the cook, so for me HP is more of a weekend thing than a "quick" batch on a weeknight.

You're right; HP is not as good for delicate swirls. It's more of a "plop and pray" art form.

When I started I used hot process. I then tried a cold process and found that my soap was much less "rustic" looking, to put it kindly. Seeing as the soap still needed a 4 week cure time at least to be a nice mild soap I chose to stick with cold process. I only use hot process for fragrances that are not possible with cold process.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering why most people seem to use Cold process as opposed to Hot process? Are there some glaring problems or inadequacies with the hot process that I'm missing?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I think there are glaring problems with HP- it makes just as good soap as CP when all is said and done- but I prefer CP because it takes me less time and effort (at least 1 hour less time from batter to mold), plus I end up with a much prettier bar of soap that doesn't get all misshapen or warped out of shape over time.

I only HP if I absolutely have to (i.e., when making my shave soap or when using an ornery FO).

IrishLass :)

Same here, CP is just faster and imo, looks prettier. I don't care much for rustic looking soaps and I like swirls. I do HP occasionally, mostly for shave soap or if I want to use a specific SF. Sometimes I do it just for fun, not that its really fun but its different and can break up the monotony of the same 'ol CP technique.

I'm another one who only uses HP for shaving soap only. CP is quicker and usally prettier. Though I know there are some that can make some beautiful HP, it's just not me.

I'm an oddball and do mostly HP. Main reason is I have less issues with DOS, given my temperatures and high humidity (south FL). If I was able to put up a fan on a drying rack somewhere it might be a different story-but for now I just have an indoor drying rack with no fan (A/C house). I enjoy the ease of cleanup (crockpot, scooping cup, stick blender, and a stick....fill with water leave overnight rinse in morning viola!). I'm not huge on fancy colors and such at this point, although I go back and forth on that. I also like that there's no caustic soap batter around waiting for cure. And my issues with FO's are a lot fewer than with CP :).

I can do 24 bars in one crockpot, 12 in the other, and 8 in the third (all different sized crockpots) at the same time. Tops it takes me two hours from idea to cleanup and that's if the batter is being ornery. Last night I did just one batch of 24 and it was exactly an hour from the time I walked into the soap area to the time I walked out carrying the crockpot to go soak. That included having to bring my oils out two bottles at a time (they are stored in the a/c in the house). This morning it took me 15 minutes to wipe out the crockpot, lid, cup, stick blender and stirrer. When I do CP, it's just about as long when I figure in the oily dishes cleanup time.

However, this is just how I work at this point in time. If I get to the point where I need to be doing batches of 50+ bars at a time, and I have a curing setup with a fan, I will probably convert back to CP. This will require me to retest all of my FO's ...not looking forward to that!

There are a few exceptions,the biggest one being 100% coconut oil. That seems to have some oddities when done HP so I think I'll stick with CP on that.

I make CP and only CP, and it's just because I prefer the look. I did have to rebatch one batch in the crockpot, and I just wasn't crazy about the look of the final product, but that's probably due in large part to the fact that I'm not experienced with HP, because I've seen other people's HP, and it's much prettier. And then there's the fact that I just love the whole process of CP so much that I've never been tempted to stray. :angel: CP makes me happy.

I don't have the equipment for HP or the space to store it. With what I know about HP I need the equipment for CP plus some other stuff which makes it an economics and space thing rather than a preference towards one or the other.

(While crockpots are relatively cheap they take up more space than a stick blender and bowl)

In addition to using it for ornery FOs, I love HP for honey and sugar batches. (OMH bars look great as rustic brown HP bars!)

I love HP. I personally love the soaps that look like granite, rocks and minerals vs just smooth and creamy looking. Even my plain soaps have a strata that runs through them. I don't have any ash issues, clean up is easy. Everyone finds their own voice in this art form. I keep seeing these beautiful swirls and think "someday", but so far I really prefer my own style. It suits me.

IMG_20160920_135755.jpg

Back