Hot Process Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

it's been awhile. I had a few questions about HP soaping. Can any CP recipe be used for HP and how do you do HP? I'm thinking of broadening my horizons. :)

P.S. Paul I sent you a message on etsy, but not sure if I did it right, please let me know. Thanks. :)

Yes any CP soap recipe can be used for HP soaping. It's just the process after you have trace that is different.

With hot process, instead of pouring your mixture into a soap mold as you do with CP you pour it into a pot that is stainless steel, glass or enamel wear. (I used enamel wear when i did it now i don't bother because i don't like the finished product.)

But you set the pot in your oven set at 170` or the lowest setting of your oven. Then stir every 15 minutes. I often used a whisk as it does seperate, get grainy and weired at first before it starts to resemble mashed postatoes.

This process takes about an hour, or a little more. Then I always did the zap test after an hour. I put a dab (small) on my tongue and if i got a zap it needed another 15 minutes. When i didn't, i knew it was done and ready to pour into the mold. Or rather glop into the mold because it will have the consistency of mashed potatoes.

Then once it's in the mold, let it set until cool, remove from mold, cut into slices and let air dry a little. And it's ready to use.

But the texture isn't the same and it gets used up faster than CP soap. A big difference which is why i don't HP anymore.

I use the crockpot method. I make the soap right in the crockpot. It melts my oils, I add the lye and SB. After trace I put the lid on and leave it for an hour, do not take the lid off and do not stir, just let it cook. After an hour I stir the glycerine back into it, add any fragrance, colorants, and additives, and mold it. All done with only one pot to clean. I set the temp on the crockpot to around 175.

Ooooh I forgot to add that you add your fragrance at the end to your finish product that resembles mashed potatoes. Along with any other added ingredients such as oatmeal or clay etc. And you need to work extremely fast because it will start setting up and hardening quickly.

Back