Hot Process Soap - Volcano on Purpose??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings all! Wanting to expand to making hot process soap. Stumbled on "The Ultimate Guide to Hot Process Soap" and in all the videos and tutorials I've watched/read so far, it looks like they bring the soap to what I think is the "Volcano" stage on purpose - which actually looks like some good fun. But, seems like I read everywhere else that the volcano stage is something to be avoided. I've tried to research this, but just keep getting hits on avoiding it... Maybe I misunderstand "volcano stage"? Hoping someone can help me understand what I'm seeing in these videos:

Thank you!

Check out videos on YouTube on Fluid Hot Process. It's amazing.

I'm sure you know plenty. I'd expanding to HP for two reasons: 1.) The speed to usable and then dried (aka cured) bars 2.) Learn something new.
As others have said, HP soap is pretty much the same as CP soap except it has been cooked to saponification in about an hour as opposed to saponifying in the mold. There's absolutely no magic involved that makes it cure faster than CP. I honestly don't understand how this fallacy every got started. Yes, it is safe to use when you unmold it - the same as CP soap is safe to use after about 24 hours. But it is not it's best. It needs to have water evaporate - get harder and continue to harden the crystalline inner structure. But definitely cure HP soap for 4-6 weeks the same as CP.

I started with hot process and have always had volcanoes. The first few times it was a bit scary, but stirring it down was not a problem. My soap batter with oils and lye are a little less than half the crockpot. As someone else mentioned, you do need a crockpot or cooking vessel that is much larger then needed for the amount of batter. You do have to stay by the crock while cooking. Do not walk away or you'll be cleaning up a big mess.

I like being able to add things after the cook that will not be eaten by the lye monster.

I started with hot process and have always had volcanoes. The first few times it was a bit scary, but stirring it down was not a problem. My soap batter with oils and lye are a little less than half the crockpot. As someone else mentioned, you do need a crockpot or cooking vessel that is much larger then needed for the amount of batter. You do have to stay by the crock while cooking. Do not walk away or you'll be cleaning up a big mess.

I like being able to add things after the cook that will not be eaten by the lye monster.
Yes!

I agree with @gloopygloop that the HTHP bars don’t cure any faster. They do saponify faster, so they are safe to use almost immediately. But “safe” does not equal “ideal.”

I didn’t know this for the first few years that I soaped, and I always wondered why some bars felt different than others (not as drying), or didn’t get mushy in the shower. Curing was what made all the difference. Your soap will be so much nicer on your skin, and will last so much longer, after a proper cure.

I also hate using a crockpot bc it is too heavy to handle easily and too difficult to control the temp. Plus, a lot of soap gets overcooked and dried on the sides, and thus wasted bc you don’t want to incorporate those dried bits into your soap. Also, some people don’t have a crockpot and don’t need to spend on another item that is stored just for soap.

For HTHP, I prefer to heat on the stove, using a stainless pot with handles. Compared to a heavy crock, it is sooo much easier to pour from there into the mold, or into separate containers for mixing colors.

For her HTHP method, Ashley primarily uses the microwave to melt her oils, and adds no additional heat after that. I enjoy that for small batches, but my microwave is too small to fit the size of container needed for larger batches of HTHP. As noted, you need a container big enough to accommodate the possibility of a significant expansion. My expansions are fairly tame, but I don’t and won’t take chances by using a too-small container, just to get it into the microwave.

I suppose I could melt the oils for a large batch in the microwave, and then pour them into my preheated stainless pot for mixing. But part of my love for HTHP is the economy of dishes to wash, and the simplicity of fewer steps to take.

Lots of ways to skin the cat, as they say. Much of the fun comes from trying different things and finding what works for you. :)
Hiya AliOop. It's been a minute since you so kindly replied to my thread. Follow-up question: Have you noticed any issues with using stainless steel pots? I'm finding I love the HTHP method of UltimateHP. No more of the house smelling like soap for hours, no more wondering if the yogurt in the fridge is still good (I live in the middle of nowhere, so there's no just running to the store for plain yogurt). Like you, I find crocks too heavy and the microwave too small, so I've always used my stainless steel pots - even for CP, just easier to use the same equip!

I came across some threads about avoiding any sort of metal in soap making, including stainless. I knew about glass and aluminum and copper et al, but "assumed" stainless was safe. Now I'm wondering about stainless. I can deal with doing regular HP in a crock if I must, but I think the crock isn't deep enough for the HTHP method, but maybe that's due to my limited experience with HTHP. The highest temp rating I've found in professional grade containers is 210F for polycarbonate (all sellers of HDPE and PP have stated 180F as max temp), which is lower than the HTHP oils starting temp. So, then, plastic isn't an option either for HTHP. I've asked "what's the recommended blending container" question on one of UltimateHPs videos and haven't received a reply. Perhaps because I'm not an official student - which is understandable. I also tried to register on the website a couple of weeks ago, but when I try to login it still says my registration is pending. Their fb group page says to email questions about processes, recipes, etc , rather than posting it on the page. Sadly, I do have some questions before buying the book, mainly about necessary equipment. Honestly, I'm wondering if I can afford the method since the recommended stick blender is $99 (which I did go ahead and purchase)! LOL Many thanks again. :)

Hi Kim, a stainless steel pot is the perfect cooking container for HTHP, and is what I use to make it on the stove. So you are good to go there. I don't think you will have to spend more on equipment - your regular soap equipment should be just fine. I use a very cheap stick blender and it has worked fine for me. But your investment in the $99 blender will last you a long time and probably save money in the long run.

Also, if you do decide to buy the book, be sure to use the FACEBOOKSPECIAL code to get 10% off on the price. They often run better specials around holidays, so watch the website and FB group for another coupon code around Labor Day weekend.

Hi Kim, a stainless steel pot is the perfect cooking container for HTHP, and is what I use to make it on the stove. So you are good to go there. I don't think you will have to spend more on equipment - your regular soap equipment should be just fine. I use a very cheap stick blender and it has worked fine for me. But your investment in the $99 blender will last you a long time and probably save money in the long run.

Also, if you do decide to buy the book, be sure to use the FACEBOOKSPECIAL code to get 10% off on the price. They often run better specials around holidays, so watch the website and FB group for another coupon code around Labor Day weekend.
You're a peach. Thanks so much. I was close to pouting with the thought that I might not be able to HTHP. LOL

I came across some threads about avoiding any sort of metal in soap making, including stainless. I knew about glass and aluminum and copper et al, but "assumed" stainless was safe. Now I'm wondering about stainless.

For what it's worth, I've been soaping in stainless steel bowls and pots for 15 years and have not had a single problem. I believe that whatever reported problems are due to using stainless that is not of good quality (there are different grades of stainless steel). The grade of stainless I use for soaping is 18/8 or 18/10 which is the most resistant to corrosion.

IrishLass :)

Back