Hot process soap burned???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen74

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

So I finally found a recipe that works for me and have made my soap several times( using the same exact recipe each time). I use the hot process method as I find it just works better for me. I use a crock pot which works really well. Today I noticed the sides of the crock pot,it looked like the soap burned a little. I cooked it for the same exact time on low, same temps and everything. I noticed it when I was filling my molds. It looks like only the stuff that stuck to the side of the crock pot, some parts were brown. The stuff I scooped into the molds looked fine.. The temp was under 180 which is fine. This is first time I ever noticed the stuff stuck to the side of the bowl turn brown though. Do you think the soap will still be okay?

Yes, it can happen to HP soap to burn. Don't be too ambitious with boiling down the liquid at the end (it won't shorten cure time anyway).
Difficult to tell why your last batch burned, but former batches didn't. Maybe stirring a few seconds too late? Distraction? Weather? Tiny residues from other things you cooked in your crock pot? Duration of stick blending? There are many things besides the numbers in the recipe that can alter the behaviour of a soap batter. Don't be afraid.
Quite some HP instructions call for a “no stir” time between trace and vaseline stage, but don't tell you that you still can (or maybe should, in your case) give it a whisk every now and then. You know your crock pot better than the ones who wrote those instructions.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Not sure what went wrong, but next time I will be extra diligent. As long as it did not ruin the soap. I always let my soap cure for like 6 weeks no matter what.

Latest posts

Back