Hot Process Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine have never sweated, not even when its very humid. I've heard you can use a dehumidifier or even a small fan near your curing rack to help with sweating.

The salt itself can affect that, too. I used two different salts - on paper they were identical, but the new salt sweated more than the old. Will need more experiments to see if it is the salt and not the FO, but I think I'll just stick to the old salt

What was the old and what was the new salt? Mine were all done with Morton's Kosher Salt in the dark blue box....which itself got soggy!

I've used mortons kosher salt with no issues but I generally use mortons pickling and canning salt. I also use sea salt, which ever is on sale is what I grab.

Hi tis Helenz here and Newbie:( NO I didn't not answer because I didnt like what you were all saying.(Im actually busy running a BnB and in NZ this is the busiest time of the year being our Summertime -I've got guests coming and going until my head spins)

:) I value the advice given on this forum - thats the whole point of it isnt it? -to learn and share with others. The good with the bad - I'd be a pretty sad person if I couldn't take any negative comments, you learn from your mistakes right??

Im so glad I brought up the subject because Ive only ever seen comnments about HP being able to be used sooner rather than later on the net.

Im gobsmacked and so I have learnt something to be aware of. Thank you for all the advice given I will definitely be putting my attempts at salt bars the HP way on the top shelf to cure and cure for a few months. I actually love CP soap making best of all, so for now I'll go back to doing the thing I love best. Also Irishgirl thank you for that very informative link regarding testing Ph.

What does everyone recommend as a good way of testing your soaps? With my CP soaps I cure for at least 2 months and some bars much longer. Well back to my sheet washing & bed making -goodness knows when Im going to get time to do some soapmaking. cheers

Last edited:
:)My apologies to Irishlass whom I referred to as Irishgirl in my reply to Newbies dig at me earlier. Some people take life too seriously.:(:(

Last edited:
What was the old and what was the new salt? Mine were all done with Morton's Kosher Salt in the dark blue box....which itself got soggy!
Morton's Kosher Salt in high percentage can become quite scratchy. I used to mix it with fine sea salt and finally quit using it. Fine salt whether sea or table salt makes great salt bars.

:)My apologies to Irishlass whom I referred to as Irishgirl in my reply to Newbies dig at me earlier. Some people take life too seriously.:(:(

I do not think Newbie meant anything by her comment, to call it a dig is not necessarily nice. We have a lot of people that come to the forum ask a question, do not like the answer and just leave. When one asks a question it is nice to acknowledge the answer. Granted life does get in the way at times, and it one is real busy it is very easy to say, " I am in the middle of busy season and not sure when I can return to the forum, but thankyou for you help." :)

sorry cmzaha i seem to be upsetting people left right and centre.

Naw Helen, try not to read too much in to those couple of comments. You had very good questions, and this is a great place to ask. Stick around, you'll see the benefits, and more typical friendly tone.

Thanks CaraBou. I try to get on this forum as often as possible, I find it so interesting and informative. Im still learning the ins and outs of soapmaking, so value advice given by obviously much more experienced soapmakers.
cheers Helenz

No matter the season it gets dreary and humid here in Virginia. Some of my salt bars sweat during cure, I just let them do their thing and gently wipe them down and let thoroughly dry before packaging. I package in clear, thin, perforated cello bags and store them in bins filled with cheap white rice. Seems to do wonders to prevent sweating once they're cured.

Conjured up the rice trick after I found a whole bin of glycerine soaps sweating like crazy, ruined labels, too sticky to sell. Rarely make these any more, will resume when we move next summer to Colorado, where it's nice and dry where we'll be. Even the rice trick doesn't help so much here.

Had made a bunch of hockey puck salt soaps and, after cure, packaged them in coffee filters, so pretty, put them in a bin. Well, they sweated, ruined labels. Soaps were fine with a little drying. Repackaged, stored in bins with rice. Still have some a couple years old, totally fine, and GREAT salt bars after that long a cure :) Scent has faded big-time, but they're just for me and wonderful.

I made high OO hp salt bars (yes, no lather, it was an experiment) and they wept like CRAZYYYY for 2 weeks straight. I put them in their own container with a dehumidifier container and a towel. Worked well!

My salt bars cry rivers. Justin Timberlake would be drowning.

I don't think there is any way around it.

Where I am, we've been running 60-70% (sometimes upwards of 80%) humidity. And that's typical most of the year, I think. I keep two little, high powered, computer type fans (originally fixed for my indoor plants) blowing on my bars constantly since I've done salt bars, but it really didn't help except to keep them from soaking in themselves.

Latest posts

Back