Hot Process Rebatch Base?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess33

Reaction score
I'm hoping you soap experts can enlighten me with this one :) Is there such a thing as Hot Process Rebatch Bases available or does it only come in the Cold Process form? Also, does these two form of bases deliver the same results or do they differ somewhat? I'm totally new to soaping so please pardon my ignorance;(

hot process and cold process are just different methods of making soap. they both result in the same end product.

while the hp methods may yield a slightly rougher looking bar, more rustic looking, cp is a smoother pour ( at least in my house anyways, lol ), so the end soap is smoother in appearance.

you can use the same soap formula for both methods.

if rebatching is what you intend to do, the appearance of the soap your going to use will be of no matter, as you will be grinding, or grating it up to remelt it so to speak anyways.

barb

Awesome explanation Barb but can i ask you this? By looking at a bar of soap, can you tell if it was made using the rebatched method?

Edited to add: I'm planning to use the rebatch base. I'm scared of lye...lol

Thanks=)

it depends on how good you are at rebatching. :lol:

like everything else it takes practice, after all these years mine still leave something to be desired. they have the look of a slice of head cheese. i don't rebatch unless i have to and then i would just rather chunk or grate and toss it into a new batch of soap.

i'd google rebatched soap and click on some images.

oh and you don't need to use as much extra liquid as some of the soap books tell you to either. it depends on how old the soap base is.

i was afraid to make soap from scratch in the beginnin( same reason afraid of all the horror stories regarding lye ) and i researched and collected equipment for a year and then it all sat for a year before i decided i was just crazy, and if i gave it the respect it deserved and handled it properly i could do it. we got snowed in one weekend about this time of the year and i pulled everything out and made a small batch of soap, poured it into a plastic velvetta cheese container and insulated the day lights out of it, tucked it away, peeked at it every half and hour, was amazed at what i had made, and the next day unmolded it. nothing fancy, no color, no scent just basic plain jane soap made with cheap grocery store oils. been hooked every since.

so i know where you are coming from. i just wonder in amazement why anyone would ever rebatch on purpose, :lol: when making soap from scratch is relatively easy once you get the hang of it. yes you'll have botched batches from time to time but i don't know of one seasoned soaper that still doesn't have a funky batch from time to time.

good luck in your soaping adventure.
barb

This will be my first experience at rebatching......lol I was just curious to know if by just looking at the bar if it's been rebatched or made from scratch.
I don't think i'm ready to work with scary lye so i will see how the rebatch goes. I use mostly Organic and Natural personal care and household products so basically i need to find an alternative for soaps minus the surfactants etc...
Barb, btw do you have your own soap store or do you just make for personal use? I will try to google the rebatch and see what pops up.

Thanks kindly for responding to my question :wink:

I rebatch on purpose because I like the look of them. Rebatch is very simple as long as you practice your methods. I prefer the oven method to melt down the cp soap. I have lots of customers that actually like my soaps! I have small children and a small apartment so I don't dare venture into making soap from scratch so until then rebatch for me!

Wow, your soaps look lovely indeed. I can see why your customers rave :wink: Btw, a few questions if you don't mind, do you use a pyrex to melt in the oven or can i use a regular baking pan. I'm thinking the latter might burn. What temp do you set your oven to and also what do you use to wrap your soap in? I'm only making like 2 pounds since it's for our family use at home. Thanks!

http://www.lyndenhouse.net/recipes/rebatchingoven.htm

if the soap is just for personnel use, you really don't have to wrap it, you can store it in a loosly covered shoe box, or a rubbermaid tote or just in a drawer.

this kind of soap is not like most melt n pour soaps which are wrapped pretty much as soon as they are unmolded, because they draw moisture ( glycerin's job ) from the air and sweat.
barb

princess33 said:
Wow, your soaps look lovely indeed. I can see why your customers rave :wink: Btw, a few questions if you don't mind, do you use a pyrex to melt in the oven or can i use a regular baking pan. I'm thinking the latter might burn. What temp do you set your oven to and also what do you use to wrap your soap in? I'm only making like 2 pounds since it's for our family use at home. Thanks!

Well some of my soaps are mp and others are cp rebatch. My rebatched bars are not wrapped they are cured just like cp soap on less time. Especially since the soaps I purchase are made fresh. I let it cure for three weeks then thats it! Mp soap I do wrap because it will sweat. I put the cp soap in a pyrex dish with a few tablespoons of distilled water. I preheat the oven @200 degrees because it doesn't go any lower. If yours does 170 degrees is better. Allow to cook so it looks like mashed potatoes. Hope that helps.

Awesome.........i might try the oven and see how it goes. I forgot to mention i also have small kids and i live in a condo so i won't venture into working with lye since they are always in and out of the kitchen. I'm so excited to get started. Now awaiting on my rebatch base....lol Thanks again :)

Back