Hot process or cold process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rute

Reaction score
Hi to all,
recently I read ( on Roberto Akira page) that the cold process can not guarantee any percentage of superfat in the soap, but hot process can.
I never did hot process and I use very expensive oils on my shampoo bar, and I want to be sure that I can guarantee the super fat on it.
Can someone help me on this?
Some good readings?
Thanks in advance.
Rute

Hi to all,
recently I read ( on Roberto Akira page) that the cold process can not guarantee any percentage of superfat in the soap, but hot process can.
I never did hot process and I use very expensive oils on my shampoo bar, and I want to be sure that I can guarantee the super fat on it.
Can someone help me on this?
Some good readings?
Thanks in advance.
Rute

Hello, Well that is not quite correct, CP will give you a SF if you have put that into your recipe with a lye discount but what it will not do is give you any particular oil or butter it will just not eat up as much of the oil mix so it willl be super fatted but not with any particular oil. If making HP you can zero superheat your calculation until the soap if finally finished and then add at the desired % which oil you would like to SF with if that makes sense.
I must though say that soap shampoo on the hair is a disaster waiting to happen and would discourage anyone form using it on hair. There are much better options for you to make other than soap on your hair.

Thank you very much for your reply gloopygloop.

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely start to make shampoo bar with SCI. This is very new for me, can you advise me some recipe or good readings stuff about?

Last edited:
I discovered something very interesting. Substitute the water for Apple cidra vinager.
Im going to try it, today. On HP

I discovered something very interesting. Substitute the water for Apple cidra vinager.
Im going to try it, today. On HP

Vinegar will not make lye soap any better for your hair as soap is soap and the pH has to be high and alkaline for it to be soap for hair you need at least neutral but better to have slightly acidic, alkaline will raise the cuticle on the hair making it rough and fragile, yes you could use soap and then use a vinegar rinse as very old timers used to do but its really not a good way to treat your hair. Do try to make a proper shampoo either liquid or solid in bar form using wonderful mild surfactants, your hair will love them! but your hair will not thank you for putting soap onto it.

Latest posts

Back