Hot process meltable base sweat problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobelloy

Reaction score
Hi, I've been trying out some meltable base formulas, but every one I've made sweats badly, literally dissolves itself in absorbed water.

I live in a hot humid tropical climate which doesn't help (however indoors is usually cool and dehumidified)

I started with a hot process coconut/olive oil soap with around 5% superfat, then dissolved it in a propylene glycol/glycerine/sugar mix

pH is fine, around 8ish,

I've tried using very little glycerine/sugar and no glycerine/sugar, I've also tried starting with a lard/coconut/olive soap and I've added a little castor oil too (all things I read that might reduce sweating) but the home made base still sweats, a lot.

Where I live there is one place that sells ready made melt base that doesn't sweat (and it really doesn't sweat, at all), but when I requested the MSDS on it, it's mostly detergent, not soap.

Things I haven't tried yet:
Adding sorbitol instead of sugar
Adding waxes or emulsifiers
- will either of those make any difference to the sweating?

I don't want to buy meltable base, I want to make it, does anyone know what I can add/leave out that will reduce the sweating, it's making me crazy

I've bought the book (not from Amazon, they suck at treating their employees like human beings, and I live in Australia where they don't have distribution ... yet), now just waiting for it to arrive

I've melted and mixed together all my not-quite-right melt base batches, the final product was a decent (but not clear) meltable soap, I found adding a little water to it made it much more pourable too, and 24h later there's no 'sweating' in the test soaps. Could be the extra water I added, some extra curing may have happened, or the combination of all the different batches might be some kind of magic, all I know is I have meltable soap that doesn't seem to sweat now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've melted and mixed together all my not-quite-right melt base batches, the final product was a decent (but not clear) meltable soap, I found adding a little water to it made it much more pourable too, and 24h later there's no 'sweating' in the test soaps. Could be the extra water I added, some extra curing may have happened, or the combination of all the different batches might be some kind of magic, all I know is I have meltable soap that doesn't seem to sweat now...
You mean you melted all your cp soaps and the sweating stoped

Latest posts

Back