HOT Process Double Boiler Temperatures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your prompt response :>)
Yes, definitely, a smaller pot. I already bought a 4qt and 5.5 qt.
Do you mean that I can start molding on the mash potatoes stage? That would be great, because my soap has lots of cracks.
Actually, I would mold even earlier, at the vaseline or "gel" stage. It should be more pourable at that point. :)

Actually, I would mold even earlier, at the vaseline or "gel" stage. It should be more pourable at that point. :)
Thank you AliOop, but now I am confused. Doesn't the Vaseline or gel stage comes after the mash potato stage? I am not sure if I got this right, but was it the apple sauce, mash potato and last Vaseline stage?
I did pour my batter at the Vaseline stage (I think). I made a second batch. Here are the pictures. Is it?
Thank you for your patience :)

Attachments

• Soap.jpg
    Soap.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Soap 1.jpg
    Soap 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
@amorifa your soap looks great - the second batch looks much smoother than the first!

With my recipe and process, I don't see mashed potatoes, which to me means that the soap has gotten too dry. When mine goes from applesauce to gel, I add any mica (dissolved in HOT sugar water), warmed FO or EO, and some warmed yogurt or milk to make the batter more fluid. Anything cooler than the batter will make it less fluid, so everything goes in warm or hot. As soon as it is well mixed, it goes right into the mold.

Last edited:
@amorifa your sop looks great - the second batch looks much smoother than the first!

With my recipe and process, I don't see mashed potatoes, which to me means that the soap has gotten too dry. When mine goes from applesauce to gel, I add any mica (dissolved in HOT sugar water), warmed FO or EO, and some warmed yogurt or milk to make the batter more fluid. Anything cooler than the batter will make it less fluid, so everything goes in warm or hot. As soon as it is well mixed, it goes right into the mold.
Thank you!!
Oh wow, you made me realized that batter didn't go trough the mash potatoes either and I did add yogurt but cold. Maybe because I kept taking the lid off to stir the batter (getting worried about volcano).
Thank you so much for bringing this up. I didn't pay attention to it.
Once again, thank you. What a great place to be!

Latest posts

Back