Hot process and aluminum molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I was looking in my baking cabinet for potential molds, I came across mini muffin tins. I don't know whether or not they are aluminum (likely) and then I wondered if it matters or not with hot process, as the lye is no longer active at that point.

I would avoid it, as I see aluminum and other metals react with cured bar soap as well - the metal soap holders corrode and the soap is more likely to get DOS. You can line the muffin tins with muffin papers, plastic wrap or those silicone muffin liners.

I agree with Seawolfe. Since cured bars can even react with stainless steel, I personally would avoid using them unless they are well-lined.

IrishLass :)

As the others said, it's best not to use metal for molds. Unless you can be sure you have liners that will absolutely prevent soap batter from touching the metal, it's just not worth the risk. Not only might you ruin your soap, you can potentially ruin your metal cookware as well.

I have used freezer paper to line various containers (usually square or rectangular in shape) and even it can leak when the batter is too wet. Of course that's not usually a problem with HP because the batter tends to be far less liquid by the time it goes into the mold.

Latest posts

Back