Hot & Miserable Desert 🌵

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peachy Clean Soap

Reaction score
Yesterday was so hot' I dint think ive ever saw it this hot. Poor Mrs. Hen was panting like a dog w/ her wings held out ftom her body trying to cool herself' I ran water under our shade tree & shed stayed there' in the afternoon she took a dirt bath for about an hour' near the shede tree I didnt know if she was cleaning the oil off her wings' or staying cool? this was about 6:00 pm when the temp's dropped to 100*, I felt so sorry for her & was worried she'd die, she survived yah. 🤗🐓.
CF31558B-E5A8-401E-A817-8FC72CB81F25.jpeg

Update:
I moved a lot of my Butters' Fats' Oil's & EO's to fridge' this heat will destroy them, I'm contemplating buying a small refrigerator sure be helpful.

Last edited:
My daughter puts tubs of ice and fans in her coops during the summer months for my granddaughter's chickens. They also have small air conditioners in the enclosed coops for the girls and boys. They spend a lot of money on the ice during the hot summer months. The chickens will stand in the cold water to cool off when the ice melts. Also, cold watermelon and/or safe fruits frozen is a wonderful treat served a little mushy. Right now Winnumucca is having a heat wave also.

My daughter puts tubs of ice and fans in her coops during the summer months for my granddaughter's chickens. They also have small air conditioners in the enclosed coops for the girls and boys. They spend a lot of money on the ice during the hot summer months. The chickens will stand in the cold water to cool off when the ice melts. Also, cold watermelon and/or safe fruits frozen is a wonderful treat served a little mushy. Right now Winnumucca is having a heat wave also.
Thank you for your info' so appreciate it 🤗. I'll try this' Ive got a perfect small tub I can put ice in' its low profile' i'll be sure and put the fan blowing on the tub of ice.

Yesterday was so hot' I dint think ive ever saw it this hot. Poor Mrs. Hen was panting like a dog w/ her wings held out ftom her body trying to cool herself' I ran water under our shade tree & shed stayed there' in the afternoon she took a dirt bath for about an hour' near the shede tree I didnt know if she was cleaning the oil off her wings' or staying cool? this was about 6:00 pm when the temp's dropped to 100*, I felt so sorry for her & was worried she'd die, she survived yah. 🤗🐓.
View attachment 58591

Your girl was probably trying to dig a hole to cool off in. How is she today? They hold out their wings to cool off panting is a sign of heatstroke or impending heat stroke. I pm'ed you some more info. If you need help you can call my daughter.

Also no corn in her diet in this hot weather, it ups their body heat. This is info from my granddaughter and her 30+ chickens and roosters not from my knowledge.
Oh Ok' She has a mixture of corn in her food. I got the Ice & fan going but she's happiest under the tree, shes not a tame chicken leery of everything, I'll watch her it may take a day or so for her to settle down to the fan & ice bucket idea. I keep running water under the tree at least keeps the ground moist & cool.
Thank you for your help 🤗👍🏼.

She has a mixture of corn in her food.
If that comes pre-mixed it might be worth looking at switching to a different one. Corn is kind of like junk food for chickens ;) they really enjoy it but it's mostly starch so not particularly beneficial. I think some manufacturers add it to feed mixes to keep costs down but it's not ideal, especially in the summer as @cmzaha says. Better to have a separate bag to use for treats and bribery ;)

If that comes pre-mixed it might be worth looking at switching to a different one. Corn is kind of like junk food for chickens ;) they really enjoy it but it's mostly starch so not particularly beneficial. I think some manufacturers add it to feed mixes to keep costs down but it's not ideal, especially in the summer as @cmzaha says. Better to have a separate bag to use for treats and bribery ;)
Yes it comes premixed & corn is in it, then I gave her Mesh it's supports her egg laying' but she doesn't like like it & rubs her beak in the ground as if trying to wipe it off. I also give her a "chicken snack" has mealworms' sunflowers' all kinds of different things in it & she loves it, i'll add ground Oyster Shell to her food its supports calcium in her diet?. she's not fond of veggies or fruits' but she did eat part of a strawberry couple days ago.
What is the name of food you feed your Feather Babies? i'll see if they have it at khoots or pets' smart. 😉🐓

All of my granddaughter's birds are tame including the 20 lb roosters. Or I should say she is not afraid of the roosters and they do not get away with anything with my little granddaughter. :nodding: If they need trimmed spurs they get them trimmed.
I can tell your so proud of your Grandaughter' as you should be, quite a smart & brave little girl. But of course her positive attributes comes from a collective "Gene Pool" Thx to you Grandma 🤗

Last edited:
What is the name of food you feed your Feather Babies? i'll see if they have it at khoots or pets' smart. 😉🐓
Oh, I doubt you'll be able to get it over there :(

Our chickens are totally spoiled, they get Fancy Feed breeder and show pellets, which are organic and GMO-free... :rolleyes: 😁 it's made in Northern Ireland I believe.

As long as the food has a suitable level of protein and not too much filler it should be fine though. And I like to give them separate oyster shell so that they can regulate their intake as they need it rather than having it incorporated in the feed, but that's just my preference.

Oh, I doubt you'll be able to get it over there :(

Our chickens are totally spoiled, they get Fancy Feed breeder and show pellets, which are organic and GMO-free... :rolleyes: 😁 it's made in Northern Ireland I believe.

As long as the food has a suitable level of protein and not too much filler it should be fine though. And I like to give them separate oyster shell so that they can regulate their intake as they need it rather than having it incorporated in the feed, but that's just my preference.
We have a feed store' they have a few pellets type chicken food's I'll go their today, great Idea. I'm sure I'll find something similar.
Tara I didn't even notice your in Ireland, which brings me to another thought' your country is beautiful. Thank you for your input' appreciate it 🤗 ❤️🐓

Latest posts

Back