Hot lye method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that is so cool. As an hp soaper, I am very intrigued. I really want to try it but I'm scared that it will volcano and cause a huge mess.

That is unfortunate that she is getting ridiculed. If it works for her who cares. I understand some people not liking her method but if she can make it work for herself then good for her.

The person who mentioned adding additives after the cook, I hp and always add my milks, yogurt, honey, oats, etc. After the cook and have never had an issue with soaps turning rancid.

I agree with you - it's a shame she's getting ridiculed! I thought it was really cool of her to post the video to show people there is another way of doing things. But....haters gonna hate....

Wow, that is so cool. As an hp soaper, I am very intrigued. I really want to try it but I'm scared that it will volcano and cause a huge mess.

If I were you, and I wanted to try this, I would do a small batch(1-2 lb oil max) in a big pot to prevent overflow with any possible volcano action. But, I would go for it! If you let fear of a mess prevent you from trying something new and intriguing, you may never find your perfect <fill in the blank>.

If I were you, and I wanted to try this, I would do a small batch(1-2 lb oil max) in a big pot to prevent overflow with any possible volcano action. But, I would go for it! If you let fear of a mess prevent you from trying something new and intriguing, you may never find your perfect <fill in the blank>.

Thank you for the suggestions and motivation. You are right, I will give it a try and see how it turns out.

OK, I tried it and it did not take me 10 minutes, at all. More like an hour. I made sure that my oils were 200 degrees and that my lye was hot. I stick blended forever and it didn't gel. I checked the temp, and it was 160. I popped it in the microwave to heat it, and it started to separate. I stick blended it to bring it together and blended some more, and more, and more (you get the idea). Finally, it was semi looking like hers, where it was a bit gelled and the batter wasn't sticking to the sb. I got tired, I covered it, and it gelled completely. It never got to the volcano stage. I added yogurt and it did make it more fluid, but not like hers, her soap batter looked like water. It was just like how my hp batter looks. I molded it and it's currently in the freezer. She recommends to leave it in there for 2 hours.

I don't know how she does it. This was too much work for me, I would rather hp with my crock pot. So much easier. My thumb hurts from pressing on the button for so long. I thought my trusty Braun would die on me, it got crazy hot to the point where I had to stop for a bit because it was burning me.

I am glad it worked for her but it was too much work for me. I would like to know what sb she uses, because I am surprised it is still going. My Braun hates me right now.

I included a picture of the soap right after I molded. I was going to swirl but just decided to color the whole soap with alkanet root, I was too tired to even bother tbh.

IMG_20150613_214820.jpg

MMS, same thing happened to me with my previous try. Now I'm even scared to try it a second time. But, I'm curious. It's a shame that it was so much work for you! I felt the same way too...

MMS, same thing happened to me with my previous try. Now I'm even scared to try it a second time. But, I'm curious. It's a shame that it was so much work for you! I felt the same way too...

I read yours too and we had similar experiences. If you are doing it again, I would recommend for the oils to be a lot hotter than 200, and maybe have a powerful sb.

I don't think it's the SB that's going to make a difference. I don't even think you have to SB it the whole time. I'm thinking that the biggest effect is going to be temp. I'm going to let it get to thick trace, sit for 5 min, blend for 1 min, let sit, ect. Blending incencently shouldn't have an effect on saponification rate after complete emulsification.

After your results I'm going to try 250 F. I have to check the smoke point of my oils before I try that but I'm pretty sure most oil smoke points aren't until 400+ degrees.

I don't think it's the SB that's going to make a difference. I don't even think you have to SB it the whole time. I'm thinking that the biggest effect is going to be temp. I'm going to let it get to thick trace, sit for 5 min, blend for 1 min, let sit, ect. Blending incencently shouldn't have an effect on saponification rate after complete emulsification.

After your results I'm going to try 250 F. I have to check the smoke point of my oils before I try that but I'm pretty sure most oil smoke points aren't until 400+ degrees.

Good luck, I am sure your oils will be fine around that temp. And I agree, temperature here is key into making it work. Be careful just in case it volcanoes.

Thank you guys I found her video too as HP soaper I really intrigue and wanted to try but as I read this topic maybe I will with 100% OO. I just worried because I don't have laser thermometer instead I use candy thermometer

I follow this facebook group and I've read rude comments ridiculing her because of her methods and made her own HP group, which i follow as well, ive seen two of her videos posted and i think she has mentioned the trick is keeping the batter warm, thats why she has multiple smaller scale crock pots, that she initially keeps warm for the process.

*sticks nose in*

Now that I've found the right thread.... seems no one here is getting it like hers.
Soapy friend tried the method (but used her own recipe, made according to all the hints and tips the lady gave). I was "helping" (aka watching), very curious if it would work. Soapy friend didn't want to drop $65 on the "new" method so she was guessing on recipe and techniques gained from video. Ended up micro'ing the oils to get them up to temp because crockpot took forever to heat up. It did indeed swell up like you see, really cool, wasn't out of control (dish was about 2x the size of the batter mix and it didn't overflow). Never got as fluid as the video, however, we didn't add the yogurt or maple syrup at the end... which may be the key. Soapy friend was able to do a partial plop swirl thing.... I have say, the stirring at the end (after the volcano) was way harder than the video made it look due to the thickness of the mix. Soap did pass the drops and the zap test, and the cleanup dishes had nice lather. Her blender wasn't a happy camper, but the actual mixing was indeed only a few minutes before it did the "not sticking to blender" thing just like she shows on the video. Her temps may not have stayed hot enough, I think it went down to 170 or lower towards the end...

I'm going to try it myself, just out of curiosity. Looks suspiciously close to how I've been rebatching in the microwave, so I think I'm just going to use the microwave and a glass container to mix it in (so it retains the heat long enough). Waiting on an order of sodium lactate/stearic acid/pheno to come in :).

Downside is, I can't see doing this with a "production" sized batch. The blending would burn you and the blender out in a large batch from what I see!

Finally got a moment to study up on this .... but apparently I'm too late. Looks like the video in Post 1 is now locked down to authorized users only. Perhaps the owner's reaction to all the grief she's gotten? :sad:

Finally got a moment to study up on this .... but apparently I'm too late. Looks like the video in Post 1 is now locked down to authorized users only. Perhaps the owner's reaction to all the grief she's gotten? :sad:

No, I think its becasue she put out a book about it and doesnt want people watching this video to learn about it. Instead she wants people to buy her book "complete with recipes that work with this method".

Someone posted a video (her copycat of Tviv's august challenge, she gave Tviv credit!) and she talked about the book in that video.

ETA: heres another one that shows the same stages. I didnt listen to it but I fast fowarded through it. Just watch the first part.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pSQ6AXj5bM[/ame]

Last edited:
In the original video, she added a couple of Tsp of yogurt before she split and colored it. That seemed to make it pretty fluid. The video above I am not sure if she added any off camera

I believe she adds 6% SL to her soaps (I believe she mentioned this in the FB group.) She may also add yogurt but, if I recall correctly in the original video, she said that it's the actual mixing after gel is complete/it volcanoes that makes the batter fluid (not to mention the exorbitant amount of SL)

Well these days as I'm making 4 small batches that I compare a few soft oils (Sweet Almond, Sunflower HO, Extra Virgin Olive, unprocessed Olive Pomace), I did try to add Lye water and oils with very different temperatures because of lack of time.

The recipe was:
40% Sweet Almond / Olive Oil
30% Lard
15% Coconut
10% Palm Kernel
5% Castor

I had all the oils ready and melted (Lard) in the afternoon, and by the night I started soaping I made the Lye water. The oils were at ~30°C (86F°)while the Lye water was just ready (the NaOH was fully dissolved) and its temperature was around 70°C (158°F). So I decided to mix them because I didn't want to wait any more, and I would not use a blender at all. I hand steered for a few minutes and no sign of trace was visible. When I touched the vessel the temperature was not very high as the total temperature should have reached to maybe 40-45°C (104-113°F) considering that the colder oils were more in grams than the lye water ( I should have used the thermometer to see the real temp though).

So I started using the blender and trace came easily and with no hurry. I think I'm going to use this method again as I hate waiting for the lye water to get colder. And then I CPOP it.

SA_OO_SOHO_Pomace01.jpg

Just wanted to share this method and as DeeAnna and Susie has already stated, the soap is not cured right away, it just helps more on the waiting side for the temps to fall...

Nikoshttp://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
She is selling her book for the tutorial on this process for $70. I am also intrigued with this method but I'm not spending $70.00 on something I can do with cp and just have patience.

Back