Horse and Dog Shampoo Bars

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by CherryGardenGirl, Mar 4, 2010.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 31, 2014 #21

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

I do not know much about shampoo bar for dogs, but i know that EO or any fragrance is bad for them. Consider that they have 100 times better sense of smell than we have. I used on my dogs (boxers) simple shampoo and rinced them with AC, solution. Of course I would not do it just before Show due to less shiny coat. I do believe that mild soap unscented one is good for dogs.
    After their coat is dry, put some (few drops) olive oil in your palm and rubbed together, and pet your dogs from the head to the end of tail once each area. No problem with the dry dull coat.
    When the dog is dirty and there is not due a bath, sponge them with lemony water, :)

Carla Burke likes this.
  2. Aug 31, 2014 #22

Earthen_Step

Earthen_Step

Earthen_Step

I assumed that first. I found so many people adding EO's to their dog shampoo bars it must be ok for most dogs?

From what I have gathered for a pet shampoo bar you would want the PH close to 7. For human shampoo you want 5-6.5. For human skin bars, 6-10.5 since we create our own acidic layer out of sebum. This sebum has fully restored your skin in about 3 hours.

With dogs you can use some EO's, lot's of people seem to use insect repellent types. For cat's you are much safer using no EO, they can have problems with many kinds. Might be funny to use catnip as a pet EO?

I'm in the works of figuring out a great shampoo bar, after I master that i'll tinker with pet bars. I have shampoo micro batch #4 or #5 curing right now! Can't wait to try it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. Sep 1, 2014 #23

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

When you try let me know please, I am still against eo for pets, When the dog is dry the hair does not stink anymore. :) I had judging and breeding boxers well over 30 year, observing their reaction to different smells was an eye opening for me.

Carla Burke likes this.
  4. Sep 1, 2014 #24

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I don't really care for regular shampoo bars for the dogs but I make a 25% neem shower bar that works great on them. They are clean, shiny and have no wet dog sell after the bath. Its unscented.

Dahila likes this.
  5. Nov 21, 2019 #25

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Thank you!

6. Nov 21, 2019 #26

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

This post is extremely old. The OP hasn't been here since 2011.

7. Nov 21, 2019 #27

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Apparently, I need to re-read the site rules. I thought surely expressing my gratitude for great information would be an acceptable way to keep track of posts I'd like to be able to reference, later on.

artemis likes this.
  8. Nov 21, 2019 #28

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

SueH and Carla Burke like this.
  9. Nov 21, 2019 #29

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

Above the top-most post there is a button that says "watch thread." Click that, and later you can go back to it by clicking "watched threads" at the very top of the screen

SueH and Carla Burke like this.
  10. Nov 22, 2019 #30

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I guarantee once you post on a hundred threads or more, it will be near impossible to wade through them all to find one particular thread.

Watching a thread works far better if you want to bookmark a thread for future reference. You can unwatch a thread, so you can weed out watched threads that aren't useful anymore. You can't end your participation in any thread after you post, so the valuable threads get buried in the not-so-valuable ones.

11. Nov 22, 2019 #31

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Really, I get it. I looked it up. I read the stuff. Can we let this dead horse go in peace now, please?

12. Nov 22, 2019 #32

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

They were just trying to help you navigate and give suggestions as our kind members try to do most the time. No reason to be rude about it.

Dahila likes this.
  13. Nov 22, 2019 #33

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

And, I wasn't meaning to be rude - to anyone. My thought process was, if the issue is about reviving a dead thread, and I'm hitting the 'like' button, to let folks know I've read their posts, and I'm trying not to add more posts, in an effort to let the thread go back into the abyss of history... ok. I'm not posting in this thread, again. Not trying to be nasty or snarky. Honestly, I'm just trying to let it go.

artemis likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted