Horse and Dog Shampoo Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know much about shampoo bar for dogs, but i know that EO or any fragrance is bad for them. Consider that they have 100 times better sense of smell than we have. I used on my dogs (boxers) simple shampoo and rinced them with AC, solution. Of course I would not do it just before Show due to less shiny coat. I do believe that mild soap unscented one is good for dogs.
After their coat is dry, put some (few drops) olive oil in your palm and rubbed together, and pet your dogs from the head to the end of tail once each area. No problem with the dry dull coat.
When the dog is dirty and there is not due a bath, sponge them with lemony water, :)

I do not know much about shampoo bar for dogs, but i know that EO or any fragrance is bad for them. Consider that they have 100 times better sense of smell than we have. I used on my dogs (boxers) simple shampoo and rinced them with AC, solution. Of course I would not do it just before Show due to less shiny coat. I do believe that mild soap unscented one is good for dogs.
After their coat is dry, put some (few drops) olive oil in your palm and rubbed together, and pet your dogs from the head to the end of tail once each area. No problem with the dry dull coat.
When the dog is dirty and there is not due a bath, sponge them with lemony water, :)

I assumed that first. I found so many people adding EO's to their dog shampoo bars it must be ok for most dogs?

From what I have gathered for a pet shampoo bar you would want the PH close to 7. For human shampoo you want 5-6.5. For human skin bars, 6-10.5 since we create our own acidic layer out of sebum. This sebum has fully restored your skin in about 3 hours.

With dogs you can use some EO's, lot's of people seem to use insect repellent types. For cat's you are much safer using no EO, they can have problems with many kinds. Might be funny to use catnip as a pet EO?

I'm in the works of figuring out a great shampoo bar, after I master that i'll tinker with pet bars. I have shampoo micro batch #4 or #5 curing right now! Can't wait to try it.

Last edited:
When you try let me know please, I am still against eo for pets, When the dog is dry the hair does not stink anymore. :) I had judging and breeding boxers well over 30 year, observing their reaction to different smells was an eye opening for me.

I don't really care for regular shampoo bars for the dogs but I make a 25% neem shower bar that works great on them. They are clean, shiny and have no wet dog sell after the bath. Its unscented.

We use and sell our Happy Horse soap with excellent results. Our local animal shelter uses it on their shelter dogs and our local Horse riding school for their horses that suffer with Qld itch as does our customer on his Race horses after finding out the hard way with all the chemical products he was using on his New Zealand bloodline Standardbreds.

Although we have not specified it be used for dogs (only because we are looking at making one specifically for them) our customers as ourselves use it for that purpose without any issues except that on my softer longer coated dog it can leave his coat not oily but soft and dull but saying that he never had a shiny coat to start with. On our short haired dog her coat comes up beautiful as does her skin (she suffers badly from allergies).

We use Sesame, Grapeseed,castor oil,olive oil,sweet almond,coconut and palm oil.
Thank you!

This post is extremely old. The OP hasn't been here since 2011.
Apparently, I need to re-read the site rules. I thought surely expressing my gratitude for great information would be an acceptable way to keep track of posts I'd like to be able to reference, later on.

I guarantee once you post on a hundred threads or more, it will be near impossible to wade through them all to find one particular thread.

Watching a thread works far better if you want to bookmark a thread for future reference. You can unwatch a thread, so you can weed out watched threads that aren't useful anymore. You can't end your participation in any thread after you post, so the valuable threads get buried in the not-so-valuable ones.

Really, I get it. I looked it up. I read the stuff. Can we let this dead horse go in peace now, please?

They were just trying to help you navigate and give suggestions as our kind members try to do most the time. No reason to be rude about it.
And, I wasn't meaning to be rude - to anyone. My thought process was, if the issue is about reviving a dead thread, and I'm hitting the 'like' button, to let folks know I've read their posts, and I'm trying not to add more posts, in an effort to let the thread go back into the abyss of history... ok. I'm not posting in this thread, again. Not trying to be nasty or snarky. Honestly, I'm just trying to let it go.

Latest posts

Back