Hornworm's Delight?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsZ

Obsessive hobbyist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe my sister's favorite name fits better: Butterfly Barf. 😂

Last year I went on a Fragrance Oil shopping spree on WSP. I hadn't learned to look closely at the CP notes before buying. I ended up with a couple that are not great for CP.

I have always loved the smell of tomato leaves, so I bought a FO called Fresh Basil and Heirloom Tomato. It smells just like tomato leaves! But... the notes say it accelerates soap severely. No problem, I'll still use it, just HP it. I watched some videos on how to make fluid HP that can be swirled. I've seen some real pretty HP swirls on here. My sister has watched me make a couple batches of CP, and she was interested in seeing the difference between CP and HP soapmaking, so we soaped together.

It wasn't near as easy as everyone made it look! I added my yogurt too hot, and the batter turned golden yellow. Then the micas didn't disperse in water as well as I'd hoped, and also didn't incorporate into the HP batter that smoothly. By the time we had spooned everything into the mold and did some hanger swirls, it looked awful! We decided to use red and green because you know, tomatoes.

Now that I've soaped with it, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wash with a tomato leaf scented bar of soap. It is a nice smell in the garden, but I'm not so sure it'll be that great in the shower. Maybe after a good cure it'll be ok...

My husband says that it looks like a gangrenous wagyu steak.

For your amusement, here it is! 😄

IMG_20221103_222247450.jpg

IMG_20221103_222834049~2.jpg

Butterfly Barf 😂

Seriously though, the solid loaf looked a little barf-ish, but I like the cut bars! They've got a snowy Christmas-y kind of look to them. Hopefully the FO morphs into something that works with the look. If not, it will make very pretty shreds for confetti soap. :)

Butterfly Barf 😂

Seriously though, the solid loaf looked a little barf-ish, but I like the cut bars! They've got a snowy Christmas-y kind of look to them. Hopefully the FO morphs into something that works with the look. If not, it will make very pretty shreds for confetti soap. :)
I didn't even think of confetti soap! If no one likes it after the cure, I will keep that in mind for sure.

I was given a bar scented with tomate leaves which I really don't like. Ended up being one of my favorite hand soaps for the kitchen.
I never remember sending you one, but was it from me? I used to make a charcoal tomato bar in which I used a tomato fragrance. It actually was a pretty good seller for me. I also used Tomato extract in it.

I agree with AliOop, I think it looks quite good cut.

I never remember sending you one, but was it from me? I used to make a charcoal tomato bar in which I used a tomato fragrance. It actually was a pretty good seller for me. I also used Tomato extract in it.

I agree with AliOop, I think it looks quite good cut.
No, it wasn't yours and sadly I don't remember who made it. It was from the alternate liquid swap a few years back. I do believe it was made with tomato juice and was red & green.

Back