Hops in CP??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math ace

Reaction score
So hubby and I are sitting here discussing the wonders of beer making.

Of course, all I'm thinking about is the beer soap I want to make.

Then hubby says something that gets my attention. He says hops act as an antibacterial in beer making. Now, I'm thinking that maybe hops could bring something to a bar of soap.

I did a quick Google and see that hops has potential to be good for skin in soap.

Hype or truth??? Have you used hops in CP soap? Have you noticed any benefit from the hops???

I use hops in my Brown Ale soap. I use the little pellets I got at a U-brew store and rehydrate them before I add to my soap batter. (I bought them to use in kombucha, which I no longer make.) I can't say that I've noticed any real benefit. After all, it's just soap.

I infused hops into some olive oil and used it in a beer soap. I don't remember any real difference in that from a regular beer soap. I haven't made a beer soap for awhile. I should try two small batches - one with hops infused oil and one without to compare side by side. I think that will go on my to do list.

I thought I heard a while ago (I'm talking 10 years or so, when I was first getting into this stuff) that hops was good for your hair and also made a nice lather. I remember I bought some thinking I would infuse it, but I never did. I still have the hops around here somewhere too, I think......

FWIW: Now that you can buy industrial hemp legally in all 50 states, I've actually put finely powdered hemp in my last three batches. It is a good exfoliant and (being purely subjective here) I feel like it lends to the creaminess of the lather.

You must be thinking: "This is a thread about hops. Why are you talking about hemp?"

Hops is a cousin of hemp as members of the Cannabaceae family. In that vein, their terpene contents are rich and similar. I find that hemp seed oil, as purported, helps my acne prone skin. It was an experiment but much to my surprise, adding hemp plant matter directly to the batter after trace made for wonderful soap.

I would imagine that hops would have similar properties. I might actually go buy some hops to include in my recipes.

I did not know that. I will edit my post to check local laws. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Too much time has passed to edit. But let me reiterate, check your local laws to make sure you are within the law to use hemp. My apologies, the last thing I would want is to get anyone in trouble.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back