Honey turned my soap this colour!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
I knew it would change colour a bit but this was a tad unexpected
It’s a lard based recipe so I added honey to boost lather at the suggested amount on the lye calculator. I’m wondering if caster or powdered sugar would have the same result? Can anyone advise? Many thanks
I mean I’m ok with it and they smell lush. I know the recipe works as I’d done a trial run a few months back. I’m not selling but I may want to gift in the future or start to use colouring as I make soap for myself, DH and DS and would like them to look different. You’d never guess this was geranium and lavender or mint and eucalyptus 😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• A6AD9DB2-3B46-4196-8539-7D363EB72565.jpeg
    A6AD9DB2-3B46-4196-8539-7D363EB72565.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 75
Honey tends to cause soap to over heat.
I understand this and last time on a smaller batch it did turn a light tan so I’m not shocked. I also know this will lighten as it hardens and dries out. What I’m wondering is do all sugars turn soap the same colour or will icing/powdered sugar have a different effect?

I don't find granulated or powdered/icing sugar to change the color or the batter or cause any overheating. My normal usage rate is 1 tsp PPO, but will go up to 1 tbsp PPO.
Thank you. I’m planning another batch next week and I’d like it to look different when it’s around the sink 😆

Honey contains a high percentage of what are called "simple" sugars. Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. They are more likely to darken soap.

On the other hand, there are the "complex" sugars such as sucrose, maltose and lactose. A complex sugar is a molecule that contains two or more simple sugars. Complex sugars aren't as likely to darken soap. Maple syrup is mostly complex sugars. Brown/white/molasses/granulated/caster/powdered/confectioner's sugar -- in other words, sugar made from sugar cane or beets -- are all variations on table sugar. Table sugar is mostly sucrose.

Bear in mind that most sweeteners found in nature aren't 100% one type of sugar, so you can get some darkening even from table sugar. Also if the sugar product is a dark color (maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses) the color will darken the soap even if the sugars do not.

Honey contains a high percentage of what are called "simple" sugars. Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. They are more likely to darken soap.

On the other hand, there are the "complex" sugars such as sucrose, maltose and lactose. A complex sugar is a molecule that contains two or more simple sugars. Complex sugars aren't as likely to darken soap. Maple syrup is mostly complex sugars. Brown/white/molasses/granulated/caster/powdered/confectioner's sugar -- in other words, sugar made from sugar cane or beets -- are all variations on table sugar. Table sugar is mostly sucrose.

Bear in mind that most sweeteners found in nature aren't 100% one type of sugar, so you can get some darkening even from table sugar. Also if the sugar product is a dark color (maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses) the color will darken the soap even if the sugars do not.
Thank you. That’s interesting info. I was adding sugar to boost lather but perhaps I’ll save colours for a veggie recipe which is using a bit of coconut oil. Be a shame to add colours to waste them after all and I’d rather not rely on hopefully I can use micas When I’m planning a batch. I’m planning a trial of a veggie recipe next week that I was fortunate enough to get advice from @KiwiMoose. Because I soap outside I’ve had to wait for the weather to get a bit drier. I quite like the colour tbh and even DH has said he prefers this colouring to pure white as it looks more natural.

Attachments

• 291BA1E9-1F34-4E48-B800-0A8A0F8965A0.jpeg
    291BA1E9-1F34-4E48-B800-0A8A0F8965A0.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 59
My soap unmolded easily after two days and was uniform in colour and smelled rally nice. Today, the following day, it’s becoming patchy and uneven with darker splotches and I detect almost a scorched smell. I appreciate it’s got ages to cure yet but I don’t recall this happening this last time I used this recipe. Any input or ideas valued thank you

Attachments

• 9DEB9224-7AAD-44D5-A0CD-3083A5CEAEB0.jpeg
    9DEB9224-7AAD-44D5-A0CD-3083A5CEAEB0.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 3D7783BE-4E96-4DA2-B059-CA70997557E8.jpeg
    3D7783BE-4E96-4DA2-B059-CA70997557E8.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 42
My soap unmolded easily after two days and was uniform in colour and smelled rally nice. Today, the following day, it’s becoming patchy and uneven with darker splotches and I detect almost a scorched smell. I appreciate it’s got ages to cure yet but I don’t recall this happening this last time I used this recipe. Any input or ideas valued thank you
your soap looks really nice! the uneven colours could be uneven curing from the shape of the mould - very likely if your rectangular bars do not have the same issue.

if you're looking for a better colour fidelity with other colourants it might be helpful to experiment with ice cubes in your lye water, honey-in-oils instead of honey-in-lye, or putting your mould trays in the freezer.

in particular, putting the mould trays in the freezer has helped me keep the colour light in soaps with a very high honey content - up to 17-20% weight of oils. i have some pics here of these ridiculous experiments, and they all look gnarly, but seeing as you're using a recommended amount of honey (± 1tbsp ppo), you should be able to get a nice light colour with honey-in-oils and stuffing the tray in the freezer immediately after pouring :)

I think it looks okay! I can understand wanting it to be different if you're gifting, especially with the scorch smell, but it works with the dinosaur fossil soap!

I wonder if adding a color would help next time to make it look more uniform in color or if it would just look worse. I use these color blocks and like them. Maybe if you went with a burgundy or rust brown if it would look more intentional?

Last edited:
Think Im going to ditch these. My OH says maybe they’ll improve with time and I could wait and see, they’re not taking up lots of space. I’m going to make more on Thursday without honey and see what happens. I’ll use regular sugar and only make one bar. I’m at a loss to understand why the first batch were good and not these but can only move forwards from here!

Give them time. Honey always does that to my soap, but it will cure out lighter. I just either label it "honey-<insert name of fragrance here>" or I cover up the color with a darker brown. Same as I do for FO's that discolor.

Susie is right, don't throw them out! It's still perfectly good soap and very cute even if the color doesn't change. And soaps smells usually do change with the cure, and some people may love the scent even if it doesn't change. If all else fails, you can melt them down in a rebatch and cover up with some micas and another FO!

It’s certainly good for learning so I’m not too disappointed. I’m making sure I’m taking notes 👍🏻

I also want to point out that it looks like your honey might have scorched a little, so that's going to make the caramel smell a bit stronger as well. Using mostly frozen liquid or an ice-water bath can keep the honey from burning quite as dark or smelling quite as strong. It will always discolor a bit, and honey will always add it's own "flair" to the fragrance.

Latest posts

Back