Honey Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutty

Reaction score
Okay so I finally made some honey soap...it came out great! But we will see...I messed up the measurements so I had to use a makeshift oddball mold. ):

20160322_164452.jpg

20160322_164447.jpg

It looks great Nutty! The bubbles should be wonderful. I even love the oddball mold. Every time you use those bars you'll get a chuckle remembering how you had to run around the kitchen looking for a container and quickly shoving a liner in. :) I forgot to line a wooden mold once and didn't realize it until I was ready to pour. It was a floral scent too which made it worse. The only thing I could think of on the fly was a kitchen garbage bag so I shoved it in and glopped in the very thick batter. Even though it had all kinds of wrinkles on 3 sides from the plastic bag it was my mom's favorite. She still talks about how much she loved it and requests it each spring. I make a batch every March but haven't forgotten the liner since that time!

Thank you guys! I can't wait to pop it out! I wanted to ask...I just checked on the batch in the acrylic mold and there seems to be an oil/grease oozing underneath outside the acrylic. Is this normal? Or is there going to be a hole in my table in the morning from Lye? :lol:

Thank you guys! I can't wait to pop it out! I wanted to ask...I just checked on the batch in the acrylic mold and there seems to be an oil/grease oozing underneath outside the acrylic. Is this normal? Or is there going to be a hole in my table in the morning from Lye? :lol:

You mean the log, right? That happens to me occasionally if I don't get the screws tightened enough. If I were you, I'd line a baking sheet with plastic wrap or freezer paper and put the mold on that. Check the screws are tight and wipe up the table before a hole appears, lol.

The log mold is an hdpe mold and yes they can leak. Especially the small ones made from thin hdpe because they can and will warp with from heat. It looks like the one from Michael's Craft Store. Just for future reference it will hold 39 oz total batter, so if you use soapcalc just check your total batch weight after all the liquids are added in. (Soap Weight before CP Cure). I picked up a couple of them with coupons for using as test molds, but my 2 lb much thicker hdpe mold is better. Also do not over tighten the bolts as this will cause tweaking of the sides. That could be your problem Krista, you only want to tighten hdpe enough to hold it together. I warped a few of my molds when I first started soaping by over tightening. It really is best to use a slip liner in hdpe molds although the smoothness of the Michael's mold will usually allow the soap to release.

The log mold is an hdpe mold and yes they can leak. Especially the small ones made from thin hdpe because they can and will warp with from heat. It looks like the one from Michael's Craft Store. Just for future reference it will hold 39 oz total batter, so if you use soapcalc just check your total batch weight after all the liquids are added in. (Soap Weight before CP Cure). I picked up a couple of them with coupons for using as test molds, but my 2 lb much thicker hdpe mold is better. Also do not over tighten the bolts as this will cause tweaking of the sides. That could be your problem Krista, you only want to tighten hdpe enough to hold it together. I warped a few of my molds when I first started soaping by over tightening. It really is best to use a slip liner in hdpe molds although the smoothness of the Michael's mold will usually allow the soap to release.

Well that's the thing, the actual batter isn't leaking. Its a clear greasy fluid. I mean I don't mind I'll just make sure to keep paper towels underneath. But yes I just bought the mold from AC Moore as I also had a coupon! Haha. The sides are very thick, but the bottom piece is maybe 4cm thick. I didn't overtighten because I want the mold to last and not warp or crack. When you guys say "slip liner", can I just use Wax Paper?

Thank you! And it smells....like lard and Olive Oil hahaha. I didn't have any scent to use. ): There is a HINT of honey smell but not much.

Last edited:
It's such a pretty color, all warm and, well, honey colored :) I've had some do that partial gel and after a while it fades. That was why I started putting them in the refrigerator for a couple hours.

I've never had the honey or beeswax scent last through saponification. It would be cool if it did though! Well I'm glad you gave it a try and I bet you will like the lather and want to use it again.

Latest posts

Back