Honey oat soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m looking for a recipe that was posted a while back. I was a honey oat recipe that used oats that babies would eat. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Cal

Hello all,
I’m looking for a recipe that was posted a while back. I was a honey oat recipe that used oats that babies would eat. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Cal
I'm not sure about which one was posted... But I think any nice gentle recipe would work well with some added baby oats (or colloidal oats), no?
I think people tend to use 1 tbsp ppo.

I agree with above, any recipe can have oats added. I use a tbsp. ppo generally sometimes a bit more. I use regular oats that I grind in my spice grinder to almost a powder or use baby oatmeal. I don't gear my soaps to babies but I sell a ton of my OMH with oatmeal.

I like to use baby oats in my oatmeal honey soap because they don't scratch me like other kinds. I use Earth's Best brand baby oatmeal @ 1 tablespoon ppo. For the honey, I use 1 tablespoon ppo diluted with a little bit of my water amount first just to thin it out a tad, and then I add it to my cool lye solution before adding to the oils.

IrishLass :)

I also like to use baby oatmeal in soap and any baby oatmeal works. You can even use the baby oatmeal in a jar if they still make it using it as a partial liquid replacement. I do the same as IL when using honey

I like to use baby oats in my oatmeal honey soap because they don't scratch me like other kinds. I use Earth's Best brand baby oatmeal @ 1 tablespoon ppo. For the honey, I use 1 tablespoon ppo diluted with a little bit of my water amount first just to thin it out a tad, and then I add it to my cool lye solution before adding to the oils.

Hi, I’m a beginner at soap making and would love to make some soap for the kids. Sorry but can I ask you what ppo means as I wouldn’t want to use too much of anything. Also when you are adding honey to cooled lye would that be at the temperature of between 95 and 110f ? Thank you 😊

Also when you are adding honey to cooled lye would that be at the temperature of between 95 and 110f ? Thank you 😊

The cooler the better -- room temperature is good. It will heat up considerably when you add the honey.

The cooler the better -- room temperature is good. It will heat up considerably when you add the honey.
Oh I see, so that will make it complicated if the oils are ready to have the lye added - as the lye temperature will increase... do you think it would be better to add the honey to the oils instead?

20200514_123001[1].jpg

This is what happened when I added honey to my oils BUT failed to make sure it was properly dispersed. It's all specked and ugly with caramelized bits in there. It does lather astonishingly well for a new soap (it's not even a week old). I have to watch this soap like a hawk to make sure it doesn't attract unsavory visitors.

honey dispenses in water more easily than oil so you are more likely have a more uniformed product if the honey is blended in to you lye solution or water than via oil. My soap above is just an example of lazy soaping at the least.

Thanks for your help, I’m going to have a think about doing this soap with honey - in the meantime think I’ll go for a simple recipe! 😂

Thanks for your help, I’m going to have a think about doing this soap with honey - in the meantime think I’ll go for a simple recipe! 😂

Hi Debbie.... I add my honey to room temp lye solution, which in my house is about 70 to 78 degreesF depending on the time of year. It causes the solution to heat up to about 160F, but this does not cause any problems in my soap. As a matter of fact, I (and many others) have found that adding the honey to to lye water actually eliminates all of the well-known problems associated with adding honey to soap, such as overheating, separation, weeping honey spots, etc.... It actually eliminates the overherating issue so well for me that I actually have to apply outside heat to encourage my honey soap to reach a complte/full gel. lol

If you like to soap at a certain temp, no worries.....just let the honey/lye solution cool down first to your desired normal lye water temp. :)

Do you add the oats after the lye is mixed with the oils but before it starts to trace?

Fabulous thanks IrishLass and sorry to hijack the thread! I promise I am taking lots of notes so I won't ask the same stupid question twice :)

Thank you very much - slowly slowly I’m coming round to trying it out! Just don’t want a volcano eruption! 😂
Will post my result as soon as it’s ready to cut. Thanks again

Oh I see, so that will make it complicated if the oils are ready to have the lye added - as the lye temperature will increase... do you think it would be better to add the honey to the oils instead?
Same here as IrishLass said... not too complicated. Mix the lye solution, cool to room temp, add the honey, then while you're waiting for it to cool again, you can melt your fats.

(FWIW, I add the oats to my oils and stick blend. I guess I'm just afraid otherwise it would not blend properly. But I think it works either way. I use colloidal oats so they're tiny.)

Thanks.
Do you mind me asking - How much honey would you use per 100 grams of lye, I’m using 300 grams of water. Would a tablespoon be enough? Would I need to offset the quantity of honey with the oils? Sorry to ask so many questions!

Back