Honey oat soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
Do you mind me asking - How much honey would you use per 100 grams of lye, I’m using 300 grams of water. Would a tablespoon be enough? Would I need to offset the quantity of honey with the oils? Sorry to ask so many questions!
Oh... that's hard to calculate. I normally use 1-2 tablespoons per pound of oils.
May I ask why you're using 300g of water with 100g of lye? That's a very weak lye solution. The "standard" one is around 33% (+/- 5%), which would have you use 200g of water with 100g lye.

Oh... that's hard to calculate. I normally use 1-2 tablespoons per pound of oils.
May I ask why you're using 300g of water with 100g of lye? That's a very weak lye solution. The "standard" one is around 33% (+/- 5%), which would have you use 200g of water with 100g lye.
That’s how I was shown in beginning so I’ve just carried on.... Also the soap calc. has 38% as water default so for a beginner I suppose its easier as it takes longer to trace?
Maybe I should try the water default at 33% instead as you say, also if that’s the standard. 😄👍🏼

That’s how I was shown in beginning so I’ve just carried on.... Also the soap calc. has 38% as water default so for a beginner I suppose its easier as it takes longer to trace?
Maybe I should try the water default at 33% instead as you say, also if that’s the standard. 😄👍🏼
33% is lye concentration, not the water:eek:il ratio. Just make sure you switch to that. It is just much easier to calculate with lye concentration than with the other one.
People use anywhere between 28--40% lye concentration, but in my experience 33% works quite well for most scenarios.

Sorry! reading everything too quickly! Yes, all my recipes have had 27-29% lye concentration. So I’ll have a go at 33% thank you! 😊

A lb of oil is roughly 454g and it is suggested not to add more than two tbsp of sugar or honey per lb of oil.
Yes, that sounds good, think I’ll go with 2 tablespoons as my oils are 800grms. Thank you 😊

Hi, I’m a beginner at soap making and would love to make some soap for the kids. Sorry but can I ask you what ppo means as I wouldn’t want to use too much of anything. Also when you are adding honey to cooled lye would that be at the temperature of between 95 and 110f ? Thank you 😊

Hi Debby! PPO is pound per oil. A good rule of thumb is 0.6 oz per pound of soap I think personally, but check every single fragrance oil or essential oil individually, as the PPO varies :)
- Honey has a lot of sugar and can create a volcano like situation because sugar creates heat in soap, so keep the batter as cool as you can when adding honey, milks and other additives with sugar.
Have fun 💞

Hi Debby! PPO is pound per oil. A good rule of thumb is 0.6 oz per pound of soap I think personally, but check every single fragrance oil or essential oil individually, as the PPO varies :)
- Honey has a lot of sugar and can create a volcano like situation because sugar creates heat in soap, so keep the batter as cool as you can when adding honey, milks and other additives with sugar.
Have fun 💞
Thank you! Big learning curve going on here! 😊

Have fun 💞

If you add your honey to the lye solution, you can actually soap as warm as you like without overheating issues. Mixing it with the lye solution miraculously takes all the orneriness right out the honey and causes it to behave quite nicely in the soap. For example, I soap my honey soap at 120F because I also add 3% beeswax ppo to it, which tends to precipitate out when soaped cooler, and I actually have to CPOP it it to encourage gel.

IrishLass :)

Thankyou for your advice, very kind and helpful of you. Hopefully with some concentration ill get it right :)

If you add your honey to the lye solution, you can actually soap as warm as you like without overheating issues. Mixing it with the lye solution miraculously takes all the orneriness right out the honey and causes it to behave quite nicely in the soap. For example, I soap my honey soap at 120F because I also add 3% beeswax ppo to it, which tends to precipitate out when soaped cooler, and I actually have to CPOP it it to encourage gel.

IrishLass, when you add the beeswax, is it whole or melted? Do you add b.w. to all your recipes? What does the wax bring to the soap?

IrishLass, when you add the beeswax, is it whole or melted? Do you add b.w. to all your recipes? What does the wax bring to the soap?
Not IL, but you want to melt your beeswax with your oils (or rather, before your oils, as it melts on higher temps).
I use beeswax in almost all my soaps. It gives the soap hardness, and also a bit of a waxy feel -- you may or may not like it. I can feel the difference with 1% already.

I haven't made honey oatmeal soap for quite a while, but I used to mix my oatmeal (colloidal), honey, FO and superfatting oil well and add them at trace. My soap (made with water, not milk) turned out a nice honey colored dark tan.

As a commercial beekeeper, Honey & Oats Beeswax soap is one of our signature varieties. In a 20# batch, I use a cup of honey (a little less than a tablespoon per pound) and 1 1/2 cups of oats. I usually add the honey to the lye water but have also added it when combining the fats and lye water. Just need to mix very well and very quickly, as the beeswax makes the soap trace like lightning. - Landi Simone, Gooserock Farm LLC

I add my beeswax to my oils and heat it until completely melted. Here's a link to a post of mine that spells out step by step how I make my honey beeswax soap. I posted it the first time I ever tried making soap with beeswax in it a few years ago, and it worked so well for me that have not changed anything in how I go about it. To this day, I do it the same way:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-experimental-honey-beeswax-soap.55689/#post-536352

I also melt my wax along with my oils. It has a melting point of 150º so it's the last thing to melt. As a beekeeper, all of my soaps contain beeswax. It's wonderful for the skin, so even 1/2 to 1 oz per pound brings great conditioning to the soap. It adds hardness. And it gives you exceptionally fast trace. In fact, if you're marbling or layering a soap you need to both work quickly and to start at a slightly higher temperature than you would otherwise.

Latest posts

Back