Honey in lip balm without emulsifier & preservative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redhead- I'm using up the Butter-EZ I still have left on hand in my B&B 'pantry'.

When I run out (or maybe even before I run out), I'm going to try an experiment that 3bees~1flower over at the dish conducted by mixing 9% stearic acid and 3% fractionated coconut oil (to hopefully effect the same crystal-eliminating results of ButterEZ). I haven't seen an update from her as to how things are working out over the long haul, but the last time she checked in, it was still keeping the grains away after 2 months.

I tried Lotion Crafter's Butter EZ... I was disappointed... not worth the money, to my mind, at least. :p

How much did you use in product, Zany? I found it varies from formula to formula. You can use it anywhere from a small % all the way up to 25%. In my lip balms, I found that using it at the rate of 15% as per the amount of butters in my formula is what kept the grains away forever ('forever' being over 2 years, and still counting).

IrishLass :)

How much did you use in product, Zany?
I'm drawing a blank, Irish. My memory is SO bad these days. :confused: I'm sure I used the recommended amount and I didn't experiment further after the first batch. It was a long time ago and used in a product I made for one of my wholesale customers. She didn't like it either.

I wanted to make lip balm with honey in it but after much research, it seems not advisable (if not impossible) without emulsifier and preservative. Some said they've successfully incorporated honey in lip balm by stirring and stirring until the balm cooled and hardened up. The recipe is pretty basic 1:1:1 of beeswax, butter, soft oil + 2% honey.

3 questions:
1) is it really possible to mix in the honey like this without separation issue even after months?
2) and not using preservative?
3) how to "pour" hardened lip balm into tubes/pot? [emoji848]
I can't answer the last question as I have never made a lip balm, nor can I speak to the ratios. However, I will say that you must have some emulsifier since honey is water-soluble only. Believe me, I have been researching this to no end to incorporate honey into a drawing salve/first-aid salve. You will also need to have a preservative (or two if you want to incorporate both a water and oil-soluble preservative). There are a lot of natural preservatives out there but I cannot speak to which one would be the best for a lip balm. Lotioncrafters has a lot of good information.

Latest posts

Back