Homemade Vanilla Stabilizer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a good question! I haven’t made solid bubble bath. Maybe this would be a good question to ask in the bath and body forum since more folks over there will have knowledge about using vanilla stabilizer in a product that has more lasting contact with skin.

ETA: another thought is to send an email to the folks at WSP and BCN, respectively, to ask whether their vanilla stabilizer products can be used for solid bubble bath, and if so, at what usage rate. That will give you at least a benchmark or starting point for how much VCS to use. If you do ask them, please report back here to let us know what they say. Thanks!

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I finally got around to making ZCS and trying it out with vanilla from WSP and vanilla creme from new directions aromatics. Results are below. I was making small samples and probably didn‘t stir them adequately. Percentages are by weight, % weight fragrance to total weight of oils. i used 1:1 ZCS to fragrance.
C0D377B7-98EA-4054-9A20-1F8F47A0CDED.jpeg

A couple weeks ago I finally got around to making ZCS and trying it out with vanilla from WSP and vanilla creme from new directions aromatics. Results are below. I was making small samples and probably didn‘t stir them adequately. Percentages are by weight, % weight fragrance to total weight of oils. i used 1:1 ZCS to fragrance.View attachment 56039
The NDA 4% is actually very cool looking! At least in this photo, with the shine, it looks almost like mahogany.

A couple weeks ago I finally got around to making ZCS and trying it out with vanilla from WSP and vanilla creme from new directions aromatics. Results are below. I was making small samples and probably didn‘t stir them adequately. Percentages are by weight, % weight fragrance to total weight of oils. i used 1:1 ZCS to fragrance.View attachment 56039

wow...what a difference. What ratio of ZCS to FO did you use?

I’m getting low on my VCS and am wondering if there are any updates on how this is working. Debating whether or not to give it a try. I don’t use VCS very often, so what I have left will likely last me awhile.

I’m getting low on my VCS and am wondering if there are any updates on how this is working. Debating whether or not to give it a try. I don’t use VCS very often, so what I have left will likely last me awhile.

Hi. I only used the metasulfate. I think my oldest bar is a few months old and it hasn't discolored. So, it worked out pretty well for me. There is another recent batch I used it on and it came out perfect.

I can't remember exactly which batch it was or else I'd post pics.

Hi @dibbles, I also only used the Metabisulfate. I made soap about 9-10 months ago using the Oatmeal, Milk and Hiney fragrance oil from Crafters Choice, which has a pretty high vanillin content, and absolutely no discoloration. I have been pretty impressed.

Hi @dibbles, I also only used the Metabisulfate. I made soap about 9-10 months ago using the Oatmeal, Milk and Hiney fragrance oil from Crafters Choice, which has a pretty high vanillin content, and absolutely no discoloration. I have been pretty impressed.
That's good to know, thanks! Do you still have a bar, or can you tell me how long you had one that stayed with no discoloration?

On an semi-related note, where has @Todd Ziegler been? Have not seen any posts from him in quite awhile.
I had knee replacement surgery and so I haven't been as active as I was before the surgery.

Thanks for asking. I was feeling a bit guilty about not keeping up with all the things going on here.

I am getting ready to make an update on the ZCS experiment. I don't have the pictures ready yet but let me just say that no brown spots still from the original test soap.

I had knee replacement surgery and so I haven't been as active as I was before the surgery.

Thanks for asking. I was feeling a bit guilty about not keeping up with all the things going on here.

I am getting ready to make an update on the ZCS experiment. I don't have the pictures ready yet but let me just say that no brown spots still from the original test soap.
Hope the knee is healing quickly. It’s nice to hear from you.

@Todd Ziegler I hope you are healing well!
According to my physical therapist and surgeon, I am about 3-4 weeks ahead of where they expect a patient to be after just 3 weeks. I'm doing everything I can to heal faster but I am still about a month at the minimum, from returning to normal activities.
Hope the knee is healing quickly. It’s nice to hear from you.
Thanks. It's healing fast. I was overwhelmed when I saw that someone asked about me here. I miss making soap and cosmetic stuff. Next week I'm going to set up at our county
4-H fair. It's going to be my "technically" grand opening. Since my soaps are 60% lard, I should do very well. I'm also going to donate 50% of my profits to one of the local 4-H scholarship programs.

I will post some updated pictures of my original test batch as soon as possible.

I will tell you this. I used a FO that would be a deep, dark brown without the ZCS and I have no discoloration as of yesterday. I think it is at least 6 months old but I will confirm everything when I post the update.

Latest posts

Back