Homemade Vanilla Stabilizer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here are my current results using sodium thiosulfate crystals, the first photo with the darker ring is the day of cut. Second picture 2 days later, and latest one today, a week after cutting. I did plane them at some point but I think they are now back to the point they would have been regardless. I am also attaching a picture of how dark the fragrance is supposed to discolor to. This is similar to a prior experiment where the fragrance did not discolor the soap to a dark brown but did to a dark beige

252C4DFD-A061-45DB-A4C3-CE9575D039A0.jpeg

@glendam that is some good results. I think the combination of thiosulfate/metabisulfate might be the key to unlocking this mystery and some incredible $$$ savings.

I got my sodium metabisulfate on Amazon. The brand that I got is the same one that most brewing supply companies sell. I will post the link.

This is the best deal I could find and it should last a long time. Compared to the cost that some of you are paying for VCS, this should be a huge cost break.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DUKX0W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TEVLFb2Y33YGB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the best deal I could find and it should last a long time. Compared to the cost that some of you are paying for VCS, this should be a huge cost break.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DUKX0W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TEVLFb2Y33YGB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you! I was just looking at the one from make your own, it is cheaper ($3.50 a lb) but with the shipping it would be more costly. It would make sense if I was buying more things from them. Which incidentally, I did place an order from them for citric acid a few days ago, but they are unable to add items to orders once placed!

Rats, I too just placed a big (for me) order of oils and other stuff from Make Your Own (aka SaveOnCitric, aka ChemistryConnection - why do they have so many names, haha?). It probably wouldn't have changed the shipping much, if at all. I still need to use up the VCS that I have from Bitter Creek, but would love to have this on hand when I'm ready to use it.

Rats, I too just placed a big (for me) order of oils and other stuff from Make Your Own (aka SaveOnCitric, aka ChemistryConnection - why do they have so many names, haha?). It probably wouldn't have changed the shipping much, if at all. I still need to use up the VCS that I have from Bitter Creek, but would love to have this on hand when I'm ready to use it.
Same here! I could have gotten their metabisulfate, but my mind was on bath bomb making stuff!

Make your own sells on eBay and most of the time I get it faster than from their website. It is where I got my EDTA.

So if I am understanding this correctly, the actual color looks more like the last bars? If so, that's pretty amazing for the first try of a homemade solution! Of course you don't want the off-white or the shading if possible, but I'm guessing that you are going to nail this down. Great job!
The pictures are horrible but once I get my new lighting box tomorrow, I will get some better pictures and by then we will see what 48 hours shows.

When I get back from the Dr tomorrow, I am going to make an orange/chocolate FO soap. The chocolate has 6% vanillin from save-on-scents, with the description saying medium brown.

Last night I made a chocolate FO soap with 6% vanillin using the 50/50 metabisulfate mix.

Today I'm going to use a 30% thiosulfate, 30% metabisulfate solution. I guess that it is a 3,3:1

I believe that the suppliers who sell VCS are using this blend. Because when I mixed the 2 together it had a very slightly green hue to it, which is exactly the color of the VCS I use from aztec candle. It is still clear, just a tint of green if you like. However I am not sure what ratio they are using.

I'm going to use a FO with 9% vanillin that turns dark brown today and I will post those pictures tomorrow.

That’s great, Todd! So appreciate you doing all the heavy lifting on this one.
You are all very welcome. I love figuring out how to make something on my own.
Here's the batch from last night. In person, it is whiter than the picture but not a bright white. However I'm not sure if the off white color is being caused by the vanillin or other FO ingredients. I think it may be my mica. I'm using a different white mica than I used before the experiment. Plus the chocolate FO was very orange /red color and that could be affecting it.

I will know a little bit more tomorrow, when the test batch is done.

The picture is bad. That band at the bottom, is not on the soap in person. I have a new photo shooting box and the lights are not bright enough.

Attachments

• AddText_10-28-10.36.53_compress50_compress67.jpg
    AddText_10-28-10.36.53_compress50_compress67.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for all of this Todd. The initial picture of the orange chocolate looks promising for sure.

eta: also meant to say that the soap is very pretty!

The soap is definitely very pretty!

@Jersey Girl thanks for the heads up on that! I’ve been thinking of getting a respirator to use when master batching my lye anyway (and for being outside during fire season, too).

The soap is definitely very pretty!

@Jersey Girl thanks for the heads up on that! I’ve been thinking of getting a respirator to use when master batching my lye anyway (and for being outside during fire season, too).

Definitely get one. I was thinking of you when I read it. Apparently it is a very fine powder which is easy to inhale unknowingly.

Last night I made a chocolate FO soap with 6% vanillin using the 50/50 metabisulfate mix.

Today I'm going to use a 30% thiosulfate, 30% metabisulfate solution. I guess that it is a 3,3:1

I believe that the suppliers who sell VCS are using this blend. Because when I mixed the 2 together it had a very slightly green hue to it, which is exactly the color of the VCS I use from aztec candle. It is still clear, just a tint of green if you like. However I am not sure what ratio they are using.

I'm going to use a FO with 9% vanillin that turns dark brown today and I will post those pictures tomorrow.
How are you dissolving the metabisulfate? 1:1 with water or different ratio. And the thiosulfate. I have just gotten in the thiosulfate and ordered the metabisulfate. I would like to try this and will also post results.

How are you dissolving the metabisulfate? 1:1 with water or different ratio. And the thiosulfate. I have just gotten in the thiosulfate and ordered the metabisulfate. I would like to try this and will also post results.
I dissolve the metabisulfate at 30% of what ever amount you want to make. For example, 10 ounces of water and 3 ounce of metabisulfate.

For the sodium thiosulfate, you can dissolve it at 1:1 but I settled on a 25% solution.

For the 2 together, I dissolved 30% of each with 10 ounces of water.

3oz of thiosulfate and 3oz of metabisulfate in 10 ounces of water. I hope this makes sense to you. I'm terrible with ratios.

Back