Homemade Vanilla Stabilizer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this link to make one's own vanilla stabilizer at a fraction of the cost of pre-made.

Have any of you tried making a homemade vanilla stabilizer, using this method or another one? If so, how did it work for you?

I apologize in advance if this has been previously addressed, but searched the forum but didn't see any threads specific to this issue. There were a LOT of VS discussions so it is possible I missed it. Thanks!

Ooh I'd like to try this or see if anyone had used it! I usually just embrace the brown but I'd love a way around!
So the article asked for sodium thiosulphate, which is usually sold as a cleaner to fish tanks. I will see if pet supplies store nearby carries it. Just about to do a batch of FO testing soap so might as well!

This is awesome, I have 2 lbs of this on hand already. I can't believe I have been paying good money for vanilla color stabilizer and I could have made my own.
I was hoping you might get into this one, Todd! I just purchased two bottles of stabilizer, and the price + shipping was ridiculous.

Please report your results. If you find that this homemade version works well, then after I finish those up, I'm going to order some of the powder and make my own, too!

I was hoping you might get into this one, Todd! I just purchased two bottles of stabilizer, and the price + shipping was ridiculous.

Please report your results. If you find that this homemade version works well, then after I finish those up, I'm going to order some of the powder and make my own, too!
I have been using the sodium thiosulphate as a dechlorinator for several years.

I also wonder if a 50% solution might be better, or if 25% is the max that will dissolve. Anyone know?

As a side question, do any of you adjust your water when using VS? If one is using equal amounts of FO and VS, that seems like a substantial change to the amount of liquid in the recipe - which is another reason that I’d rather use a more concentrated solution if possible.

Yes that is the right product.
I also wonder if a 50% solution might be better, or if 25% is the max that will dissolve. Anyone know?

As a side question, do any of you adjust your water when using VS? If one is using equal amounts of FO and VS, that seems like a substantial change to the amount of liquid in the recipe - which is another reason that I’d rather use a more concentrated solution if possible.
I used a 50/50 solution when I was dechlorinating aquarium filters that I cleaned with chlorine. If you warm up the water you can dissolve it quickly. I'm pretty sure I made a 75% solution but I can't remember. As soon as I find mine I will let you know.

As far as how much VCS to use it kind of depends on the amount of vanillin in your FO's. Most people use a 1:1 ratio. If it is under 5% I will use less depending on what the seller says about how much the FO discolors the soap .

For example I have a maraschino cherry that is 4% vanillin and the description says dark tan, the safe usage rate is 6% FO which equals 4.8ozs in the batch I will use 1 ounce of VCS, that is the minimum amount I use. Some people use 50% VCS of the total amount of FO.

Between 6% - 10% vanillin will depend on how dark the seller says it will get.

I hope that I didn't confuse you because this is my method. I have asked several sellers how much to use and they always say 1:1 or 50% of total FO.

I forgot to mention that if you are using any kind of banana FO and even if it doesn't have vanillin in it. I highly recommend using VCS because I learned the hard way what banana can do.

I do not adjust my water because I believe that the VCS I use is more than 50% sodium thiosulfate but regardless the water amount will not affect your soap.

I had to edit my post a couple of times, so double check it.

I made a 1:1 solution and with warm water it dissolved completely and quickly. I am going to try a 1.5:1 and see what happens.

My final results were very surprising to me. I was able to dissolve a solution of 3 ounces of sodium thiosulfate to 1 ounce of distilled R/O water. I heated the water up to around 90°F and it dissolved within seconds with a little stirring.

However even at 3:1 ratio it does not possess the same horrible smell as the VCS I got from aztec candle.

I have an FO coming that has no vanillin, but it is a banana FO that I know causes discoloration, turning the soap a very dark brown. I'm going to pour 4 ounces of batter and add the FO with the sodium thiosulfate in a individual bar and then compare to a second bar with only the banana FO.

I ended up creating a 1.5:1 solution and now I have to figure out how much of this solution I should use. Probably a 1:1 mixture.

Last edited:
My final results were very surprising to me. I was able to dissolve a solution of 3 ounces of sodium thiosulfate to 1 ounce of distilled R/O water. I heated the water up to around 90°F and it dissolved within seconds with a little stirring.

However even at 3:1 ratio it does not possess the same horrible smell as the VCS I got from aztec candle.

I have an FO coming that has no vanillin, but it is a banana FO that I know causes discoloration, turning the soap a very dark brown. I'm going to pour 4 ounces of batter and add the FO with the sodium thiosulfate in a individual bar and then compare to a second bar with only the banana FO.

I ended up creating a 1.5:1 solution and now I have to figure out how much of this solution I should use. Probably a 1:1 mixture.

Todd, did you see this part of the article? If it’s not vanillin causing the discoloration it may be ineffective.

“It should be noted that there are limitations to vanilla stabilizers. Vanilla stabilizers will only prevent discoloration from vanillin and will not prevent discoloration from any other additives or causes. Vanilla stabilizers are not compatible with all fragrances due to the other components of the fragrance oil or other recipe additives which may render it ineffective.“

Another question. This is what they are showing in the pic with the article. It says it readily dissolves in water In the product description. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Thios...sr=8-11&tag=googhydr-20#descriptionAndDetails

Last edited:
Todd, did you see this part of the article? If it’s not vanillin causing the discoloration it may be ineffective.

“It should be noted that there are limitations to vanilla stabilizers. Vanilla stabilizers will only prevent discoloration from vanillin and will not prevent discoloration from any other additives or causes. Vanilla stabilizers are not compatible with all fragrances due to the other components of the fragrance oil or other recipe additives which may render it ineffective.“

Another question. This is what they are showing in the pic with the article. It says it readily dissolves in water In the product description. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Thios...sr=8-11&tag=googhydr-20#descriptionAndDetails
Yes I read that part and they could be right.

The picture is exactly what it looks like and it dissolves very easily in water.
This is interesting, and if it works it would be fabulous. I am wondering about the odor. The VCS I have is from BItter Creek and works great but smells horrible.
The VCS I get from Aztec candle also smells horrible but it's possible that there could be two formulas that are used but without them disclosing what it is, we won't know for sure.

I found this patent for a VCS.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080305976A1/en

I have used it, and tried it with a fragrance that goes to a deep brown and instead it went beige (so far it is still beige though a bit darker). I posted the pictures at the end of this video (the cover actually):

Love the soap. I am wondering if the use of titanium dioxide, along with the DIY vanilla stabilizer would give lighter results.

Love the soap. I am wondering if the use of titanium dioxide, along with the DIY vanilla stabilizer would give lighter results.
I should know in a few days, I used it again yesterday, with the FO Gingerbread man from WSP, which seems to have 5 or 6% vanillin. I added TD to the mix. So far it is looking yellow. I did a 25/75% mix of thiosulfate and water, and added it at 50% of the FO amount. It seems it is too little though, but we shall see!

Do any of you know whether the amount of the water used actually matters, as opposed to the amount of the thiosulphate in relation to the FO? Unless a certain amount of water is needed for dispersal, it would seem to me that making a higher concentration might be more effective. @dibbles, was it you who said that you use a VS:FO ratio of 1:1 or more?

I did some more research and found that Sodium Metabisulfite is another ingredient that I have found while reading through the patent that I posted above. It is an ingredient used in wine making. I'm going to get some today and see if I get that same smell from the VCS I am using now. I also want to see if this can be combined with the sodium thiosulfate.

Yes I read that part and they could be right.

The picture is exactly what it looks like and it dissolves very easily in water.

The VCS I get from Aztec candle also smells horrible but it's possible that there could be two formulas that are used but without them disclosing what it is, we won't know for sure.
Ok...I was confused beca one type said pentanate
Do any of you know whether the amount of the water used actually matters, as opposed to the amount of the thiosulphate in relation to the FO? Unless a certain amount of water is needed for dispersal, it would seem to me that making a higher concentration might be more effective. @dibbles, was it you who said that you use a VS:FO ratio of 1:1 or more?
im curious about this too. If as @Todd Ziegler reports, the thiosulphate dissolves well in less water it would make sense to me to use less so there is less excess in your batter. But then you would need to calculate a usage rate of the more concentrated solution...my head hurts...these kind of calculations stress me out. Lol.

Back