Circle Z soaps
- Sep 10, 2018
- Reaction score
- Tipton IN
Let me clear up what I meant by 50/50. I made separate solutions for the first test batch. Each had 30% of the metabisulfate and thiosulfate, I then mixed equal parts of each solution and that is where the 50/50 comes from.That's pretty impressive, Todd!
At exactly 28 days from creation to this update, the
Cotton Candy soap made on 10/25/2020 looks unchanged.
View attachment 51779
It's the only one I could find a before & after picture for, but it's the oldest, so the quite exciting.
You stated you used the solution that was equal parts metabisulfate and distilled water at a 1:1 mix of FO to DIY VS.
And your FO usage in recipe was 6%
For each of the ones picture today, did you use the same VS formula, or were there any differences? I am curious how the mix of the two chemicals are performing.
The one made on 11/9/2020 has a pinkish tinge in the white area surrounding the orange/yellow color. Is that new? It sort of looks like color bleed, but it's the wrong color. I didn't find a before picture, so not sure what it started out looking like. Which DIY VS solution did you use with this one?
View attachment 51783
My agenda for tomorrow is to start the DIY VS tests here; when I get it started I'll post updates here, if that's okay.
All the other batches have the 3,3:1 solution. With a 1:1 VS/FO. You can't see it in the new cotton candy picture but the darkning has actually lightened up.
The other picture that you pointed out is just the red that I used for the color.
I have not used the two ingredients separately. I have always used the two together. Now some of the FO's that I have used don't have any vanillin in them but they do alter they do discolor the soap. In the FO's without any vanillin I used 50% VCS of the FO. So if the FO was 4ozs I used 2ozs of VCS.
You're welcomeTodd, all of your soaps looks fantastic! Can't thank you enough for figuring this out and for sharing all your experiments.
I am going to try and make a new post that includes all the pictures together, along with usage amounts.
I have not used the metabisulfate by itself. However I think someone else in this thread has but the thread has gotten so long that I am going to do a new summary thread. This way we get all the information that has been collected into one post.Did you use the Sodium Metbisulphate only? Turns out the other ingredient on Etsy was $8.50 + $8.50 shipping but it was only 90 grams. That seems expensive given the small quantity so I didn't order it. If I can use just the one that would be ideal. Thanks.
I really think that using just the metabisulfate by itself will give you the same results. It is my opinion that the thiosulfate is meant for MP soap and not CP soap. However I have not tried the thiosulfate by itself. I am going to do post a summary thread today sometime and if you are interested in contributing to it, just pm me and I will explain more.Yes, just the Sodium Metabisulphate.
Thanks but your original post is what started everything. So don't forget to take a bow. I am also liking the name "aligoop color stabilizer!Todd, all of your soaps looks fantastic! Can't thank you enough for figuring this out and for sharing all your experiments.
Here is a side by side comparison of how well the homemade VCS is working.
152.8 KB Views: 15