Homemade Vanilla Extract

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you all get your vanilla beans? I have some but could use some more but sometimes they are extremely expensive. Even in mexico they wanted 8.00 a bean. I thought that was crazy.

Where do you all get your vanilla beans? I have some but could use some more but sometimes they are extremely expensive. Even in mexico they wanted 8.00 a bean. I thought that was crazy.

I use Beanilla, as I linked earlier. Beans from different places are different prices. But I have always been happy with them.

Thanks for the links- I'm going to need them! I've always bought mine in bulk from Arizona Vanilla Company in one-pound quantities (my last order was a little over a year ago), but I just looked and discovered that they have recently closed up shop. Rats! For my future orders, I suppose I shall be looking into Beanilla and Vanilla Products USA.

Seawolfe- you can get vanilla beans for waaaaayyyyyyy cheaper than Penzey's (as much as I love Penzey's for all my other herbs and spices). For my 1 lb. of Grade B Madagascar beans that I always ordered from Arizona Vanilla Co. about once a year, I spent $49.95. I'll have to go see what price they are at the other companies mentioned.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add: Looks like Beanilla will be my new go-to supplier. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Seawolfe- you can get vanilla beans for waaaaayyyyyyy cheaper than Penzey's
Yeha and I just realized that Vanilla Beans USA also sells on Amazon (woot woot free prime shipping). Just got 30 quite dry (but fine for extract etc) beans for $14!!

Regarding the vodka issue, I've become something of an evangelist for Sobieski. It's Polish and one of the most popular vodkas in the world, but because its advertising budget is non-existent, it's pretty cheap. I typically buy 1.75 liter bottle for about $17. I've done three blind taste tests with so-called vodka snobs who were unable to express a preference between Sobieski and their pet brands. If you like vodka for drinking, you owe it to yourself (and your wallet!) to read some reviews of this stuff and try it. And at that price, why NOT put it in vanilla extract.

Also, in the US at least, there is a legal definition of 'vodka.' Many of the truly cheap spirits available do not qualify for this definition, so if you look at the label closely, you will see that they are labeled as "vodka liqueur." I would avoid those. ;)

Regarding the vodka issue, I've become something of an evangelist for Sobieski. It's Polish and one of the most popular vodkas in the world, but because its advertising budget is non-existent, it's pretty cheap. I typically buy 1.75 liter bottle for about $17. I've done three blind taste tests with so-called vodka snobs who were unable to express a preference between Sobieski and their pet brands. If you like vodka for drinking, you owe it to yourself (and your wallet!) to read some reviews of this stuff and try it. And at that price, why NOT put it in vanilla extract.

Also, in the US at least, there is a legal definition of 'vodka.' Many of the truly cheap spirits available do not qualify for this definition, so if you look at the label closely, you will see that they are labeled as "vodka liqueur." I would avoid those. ;)

As long as it tastes miles better than absolut and georgi, Sobieski may be a possibility should I feel like a cape cod or a screwdriver. :mrgreen::p :lol:

You're a bad influence kc . . . I will definitely be making some of this over Christmas vacation! And the bourbon-vanilla posted earlier in the thread :)

It is pretty amazing stuff. And makes great milkshakes. Who needs chocolate sauce when you have this!

I just got an email from Beanilla, they are having a sale - 15% off vanilla beans until 1/24 (this Sunday) when you use the coupon code BEAN15

:D Happy baking!

Kchaystack,

You are a bad bad influence.. there I am spending my money buying Vanilla beans when I should be packing bead orders. *shakes fist*

Thanks for the heads up!

Sere

I made the coffee liquor recommended by Kchaystack, using our home-roasted beans and making it a little less sweet than the recipe. Tested it this weekend, its fabulous, I filtered it and added another scoop of ground coffee and another bean to half of it to see if I can get even more ooomph. Of course the vanilla extract is just doing its thing quite happily.

I just got an email from Beanilla, they are having a sale - 15% off vanilla beans until 1/24 (this Sunday) when you use the coupon code BEAN15

:D Happy baking!

Dag nabbit, man. I am so late to this. I'm sad I missed that. My vanilla's comming along fine but I suspect it may be a bit weak. I drank about a shot's worth of my vodka to adjust to the 3 beans I had. So far, it smells good.

Latest posts

Back